free website stats program When will I quit riding?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

When will I quit riding??

Golly I hope you can get some medical help, in order to provide you with pain free cycle riding.

I dread the thought of having a reversal in my health where I have to vacate the seat of my machines. :newsmile08:

I don't ever plan to give riding. I made a deal with the Lord.
I will spread to word of the Lord while here on earth and he
will have a bike in heaven for me later on.

I don't ever plan to give riding. I made a deal with the Lord.
I will spread to word of the Lord while here on earth and he
will have a bike in heaven for me later on.

You've put that beautifully Wizard. Ride safe and good luck in all you do. As far as I know they've only get Harleys in our heaven so I don't know where all the Metric boys go! :D

I wanted to see if anyone can relate to this----I started riding in '73, and for the last few years my back pain from a old injury started to kill me when I rode. So---I tried different bikes, different positions, short trips only----everything. Well, after deciding to stop riding a couple of times, I still can't do it. Nothing else gives me the "live in the moment--challenge--speed trip"
that biking does. I'm starting to think that maybe riding with pain is better than nothing.-------kerry

Did you try a softer suspension?
I really hope you can solve this problem.

I’m 61 and have been riding for over 40 years. I have the usual problems with back pain and hands that hurt all the time. I have some exercises I do as part of the bargain if I want to keep active. A word of caution if you are taking a longer trip. About 5 years ago we took a month long trip out West and I developed frozen shoulder in my right/throttle arm. I went to therapy which is code for physical torture which only made it worse. It took about 6 months before it started to improve. Consider stretching at the end of the day on a longer trip. I hope you all stay healthy and safe and can enjoy the open road as long as possible.

God Bless -Bob

I've heard the same thing, Glenalt. By the way, what part of VA are you in. ?

Hey Murf, I live in Waynesboro just about 10 min off the BRP. The riding here is great. I see you are from NC, where? Don't mean to high jack thread.

Upon reading this thread it brought to my memory something I experienced. I was with a group of about eight Harleys that went to the 100th Anniversary wing ding in Millwaukee (2003). On motoring back to Central Indiana we stopped around Rockford, IL for some gas. It has been sprinkling on and off, but had let up when we stopped.

On the other side of my gas pump was a pretty new Ultra Classic. I noticed it had a Texas license plate on it. The owner/rider had gone into the Gas Station. As I was putting back the gas pump nozzle I noticed a gent walking towards me. The man was a small man of slight build. He was walking very slow, without a limp, but had a pretty upright posture. We walked straight to the Ultra Classic with the Texas license plate.

My first thought was...MY GOODNESS THIS OLDTIMER RODE ALL THE WAY FROM TEXAS TO MILLWAUKEE...YIKES....

I couldn't help but to approach and this sojourning enthusiast biker from Texas. In a nutshell he advised me that most of the folks he had ridden with had gone on to that great "poker ride in the sky". However he was not going to miss the 100th, so he just came on his own. This he said with a wet twinkle in his eye.

After I noticed how slow he was about making it back to his machine from the gas station, I could not help but to be concerned for him. Hence I ask him..."Sir are you going to be OK on your trip back?" He smiled and replyed with much confidence and a Texas drawl..."Oh sure I'll do just fine...I've been riding Harleys for 70 years...."

I dare say this this man of much determination had to be in his latter 80's early 90's and was all of 5'6' and 130lbs. I bid him farewell as he rode off the lot with such precision. Then I prayed that the Good Lord would keep his hand of safety on the old timer, as he motored home to Texas.

Golly, I wonder if the old-timer from Texas rode up to Millwaukee for the 105th! :)

Yeah----I've been totally proded by the medical world---riding isn't makin it much worse, just can hurt. I had to laugh when I read King's comment---the other day I went for a ride ( to work, oh well, it's still a ride )
and it acually made my back feel better---that was a switch.
Anyway---thanks again for the input. It's funny, for a bit one time I was bikeless and had a hot car----the rod was fun, but I couldn't keep from driving like I was on a track, and I was trying!!! When I'm on a bike,
just puttin down the road is already extreme, which is what I dig about it.
Foot note----This is my first Harley---I've had almost everything---from a
73 CB350 to a SpeedTriple and inbetween, but I dig the Haley for alot of reasons---it's raw, mechanical, solid, great soul, and still handles well.
Enjoy the coming spring guys. Cheers, kerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerry, honestly try riding a different bike. When my buddy told me how well his 02 ultra handled I said yea whatever until I rode it. I was sold and bought an 09, put a riders backrest on it and now there is no going back.

Back