free website stats program When will I quit riding?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When will I quit riding??

Have you looked into the air bladder seats? They are a bit costly but weigh that against not riding and the price will be worth it.

I have a bum leg that will sometimes flair up when I ride. But the most determined man I've ever seen is a guy I met at a maggie valley bike ralley.
Don't know a lot about him other than he lost both legs and instead of being in a wheel chair he has an electric bed. He loves the sport so much that he has a custom trike made out of some kind of front wheel drive car that has a ramp that lets down so he can wheel his electric bed up on it and straps himself in and off he rides.
Hope I got the moxie he has when my time comes.

I installed a drivers back rest, works great. Tried a run without it once but I couldn't do without it now.

It might not hurt to get a different model H-D. I'm sure that Nightster is a little rough on your back all by itself. Don't get me wrong, I love the look and a sporty is a good bike, but there are many more comfortable models in the harley stable.

Just wanted to add a quick comment, especially for Cedar's benefit.

I was being a little facetious in my response quoting the old doctor's advice "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning", a cliché we have all heard before.

The more serious, and far more beneficial response, is Cedar's.

Your condition should, (correction---MUST) be medically evaluated and appropriated diagnosed and treated by a qualified physician.

Certainly there are FAR better pain-relief meds available than aspirin, (again, I was using an old cliché facetiously, not meant to be taken literally), and actually, chronic pain may indeed be exacerbated by riding, and that's NOT something you want to do, although we all understand your desire to continue to ride.

I had a serious, actually, a near-death serious, motorcycle accident almost 40 years ago, and thankfully, my only one, but it left me with conditions that now cause chronic, and sometime almost unbearable pain.

I still ride, but every year it gets harder and the rides get shorter.

That said, I intend to continue to ride until I literally can't hold the bike up any longer, and then?

A trike!

So, again, I hope this clarifies and gives more weight to a serious question you asked, which deserved a more serious response, as Cedar and some of the other fellas gave you.

Whatever you decide to do, do it following a doctor's advice and above all, Ride Safe!

I hear if you buy another bike it helps ease the pain.:bigsmiley11:

Kerry, I can truly relate to you as so many others.. I have severe arthritis in my right shoulder, we may not go as far, or many times have to stop with breaks, but the stress relief I seem to get from the bike experiance outweights the pain. I figure Im going to be in pain on or off the bike, so everytime we get back on, I feel blessed for the moment and enjoy it. Good Luck, Tim

I just had back surgery 6 weeks ago to repair a herniated disk (numb and disrupted responsiveness) in my right leg. After 6 weeks, I'm back to full duty, took delivery on the bike and everyday of therapy was to ensure I would be strong to ride by spring.

With a month left of therapy the doc said "Alright, you're done... enjoy the riding and cancel the rest of your appointments"

The wonders of Modern Technology I guess... back to full duty and anxious to hit the pavement.

As far as when to quit riding... I agree with "Ride until you can't hold it up anymore!!"

Richard why are you selling your Live to Ride Ride to Live. Hey man don't give up take them asprins and ride till ya drop.
kemo

I've been riding for 28 years and I'll be 44 in June. I figure if I should live that long and still have good health, I'll ride another thirty years and beyond. In other words I don't ever plan to stop riding! Like the old saying goes, "Live to ride, Ride to live!:D

Back