free website stats program When To Put On Rain Gear | Harley Davidson Forums

When To Put On Rain Gear

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Weather last night said cloudy with only a 20% chance of showers. Like a dummy, I didn't check again this morning. Right when I'm at the turn around point of my ride (furthest from home of course) it starts to sprinkle. I look up and the skies don't look very threatening so I figure I'll get to ride in 5 or 10 minutes of light rain at worst. WRONG! By the time I realize it's not really letting up, my jeans are soaked from the knees down. Then I notice it's also soaking my socks and boots - remember osmosis from high school physics class? Gritted my teeth and pressed on home getting wonderfully funny looks from all the cars and trucks going by. It wasn't that cold out but combined with the moisture, I gotta tell ya, my hands and toes were starting to lose a bit of feeling when I walked in to the house.

So, what factors go into your decision to pull over and put on your rain gear? Once on do you leave it on?

Here in the sunshine state it makes no difference. It rains at a monents notice and stops just as quick. We stop if we can, to put on rain gear, when the clouds are really dark. Otherwise it can take you longer to put on/take off your gear then it will rain.

We also try not to ride between 3:00 and 5:00 pm in the summer. That's prime rain time, clouds in the sky or not.

I will even put my rain jacket on if I am getting cold. I carry my rain gear in the tour box all the time. Gosh the jacket the pants the boots take up a lot of space.
kemo

i carry my gear all the time. but i tend to melt my pant leg to my exhaust. even in the rain.

I put mine on at the first drops of rain. To me the discomfort of being wet is greater than the inconvenience of putting it on or taking it off.

If I'm heading away from home, I wished I'd put it on. If I'm heading toward home, I ride real fast so my leathers don't get to wet. If you haven't heard, it always rains (in the valley) in Oregon. My feathers and webbed feet get me through the worst of it..., besides, I really hate rain gear. :beach

i carry my gear all the time. but i tend to melt my pant leg to my exhaust. even in the rain.

I had the same problem this summer with my Road Glide. When I put my left foot down at a stop my rain gear contacted the header pipe.

I found Smokin Toad from Frog Togs that looks like the ticket to fix the hole and prevent another burn.

As to the original question. With the new breathable gear I will put mine on at the first hint of rain or even heavy clouds. I've had my share of riding in the cold rain. This year at Laconia I picked up a textile, waterproof riding jacket and I am a convert. I rode back in driving rain and everything covered by the jacket was dry and comfortable. Now I wear that all the time and only have to slip on the pants if it looks like rain.

As soon as I can find a bridge unless its raining when I leave for work then its a must here in Florida it rains almost daily

I try to guess what it is going to do? Here in Florida there is always a 20% or more chance of rain. Rain gear is in saddlebags always. Sometimes I guess wrong. But if I am getting wet & or cold I stop and put something on. Last week we where riding & at a stop light I got off the bike and put on a jacket. Friends started laughing but I was warm then.

Back