free website stats program When to go to synthetic oil? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

When to go to synthetic oil?

If you analyze the 30-60-30, the purpose of it is to seat the rings before they glaze the cylinders by driving it easy during break in. Once the cylinders are glazed, quite possibly your engine will consume oil. Changing to a synthetic oil right away will harm nothing because the most expensive CVO bikes come with Harleys excuse for synthetic oil in them from the factory. The reason why they aren't broken in at the factory is time and money. It takes someone to either run it on a dyno or ride it if that's what you were thinking and this all translates to $$$. Look at the way the MOCO cheaped out in some areas to make a better profit and you want them to forfeit that profit by breaking in the motors? :lolrolling

The Mototune article also addressed this. It recommends replacing the syn with regular dino until 1500 miles while the last 20% of break in takes place inside the motor.

If you analyze the 30-60-30, the purpose of it is to seat the rings before they glaze the cylinders by driving it easy during break in. Once the cylinders are glazed, quite possibly your engine will consume oil. Changing to a synthetic oil right away will harm nothing because the most expensive CVO bikes come with Harleys excuse for synthetic oil in them from the factory. The reason why they aren't broken in at the factory is time and money. It takes someone to either run it on a dyno or ride it if that's what you were thinking and this all translates to $$$. Look at the way the MOCO cheaped out in some areas to make a better profit and you want them to forfeit that profit by breaking in the motors? :lolrolling

The CVO bikes come with that Syn 3 (EDITED) which isn't a true synthetic. Harley is telling you that you can switch to synthetic at 1500 miles but use Syn 3. Because it is not a full 100% synthetic it still allows the break in period to occur. Again, my opinion.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
The CVO bikes come with that Syn 3 (EDITED) which isn't a true synthetic. Harley is telling you that you can switch to synthetic at 1500 miles but use Syn 3. Because it is not a full 100% synthetic it still allows the break in period to occur. Again, my opinion.

Let's not split hairs with the Syn 3. It's one step up from a dino oil (group 3) and not to be confused with a true synthetic (group 4+) which is a synthetic base stock, not a blend. For years Harley professed NOT to use a synthetic oil in their bikes but now "their synthetic" is ok to use being there is a profit to be made from it and it's made by Hugo Chavez too. Fact of the matter is that these cars come factory filled with synthetic (usually mobil 1) .

Aston Martin
Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Viper
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Mercedes SLR
Mitsubishi EVO
Pontiac GTO
All Porsche vehicles
Harley CVO (screamin eagle) bikes (syn3)
2007-2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Granted they are water cooled but the ring break in is what we are referring to here, not the method of cooling which is very important in air cooled engine.
Engines will break in just fine with synthetic oil right from the start or these companies would not be using it in the expensive machines.

Last edited:
Let's not split hairs with the Syn 3. It's one step up from a dino oil (group 3) and not to be confused with a true synthetic (group 4+) which is a synthetic base stock, not a blend. For years Harley professed NOT to use a synthetic oil in their bikes but now "their synthetic" is ok to use being there is a profit to be made from it and it's made by Hugo Chavez too. Fact of the matter is that these cars come factory filled with synthetic (usually mobil 1) .

Aston Martin
Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Viper
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Mercedes SLR
Mitsubishi EVO
Pontiac GTO
All Porsche vehicles
Harley CVO (screamin eagle) bikes (syn3)
2007-2010 Ford Shelby GT500

Granted they are water cooled but the ring break in is what we are referring to here, not the method of cooling which is very important in air cooled engine.
Engines will break in just fine with synthetic oil right from the start or these companies would not be using it in the expensive machines.

Glider, thanks for the info. I still feel more comfortable the way I am breaking in the engine and when to switch over the oils as mentioned in my previous post. I feel the engine is not fully broken in until 5000 miles and running a full synthetic oil before then could cause oil consumption.

Glider, thanks for the info. I still feel more comfortable the way I am breaking in the engine and when to switch over the oils as mentioned in my previous post. I feel the engine is not fully broken in until 5000 miles and running a full synthetic oil before then could cause oil consumption.

YEP the I's have it.....

seems that we are made up with a bunch of I's and ME's this is what is needed to get n give DIFFERENT OPINIONS here..... TAKE ME FOR EXAMPLE:::

IIIIIIIIIIII..... MEMEMEMEME

I believe the I's have it...

what ever makes ME feel fuzzy all over....

GOOD READ HERE
thanks for the give n take

signed....BUBBIE

Went with all AMSoil today at 1300 miles. I decided that I will stay with it because there is a local AMSoil dealer that sells to harley guys around here.

Wal-Mart has Mobil-1 V-Twin 20/50 in the motorcycle supplies area.

If your not that anal, Mobil-1 15/50 is available in gallon jugs for substantially less.

Back