free website stats program When they find out you ride a motorcycle... | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

When they find out you ride a motorcycle...

I just tell people that if I must go I would rather it happen on the bike than while mowing the lawn or taking a dump.

I just tell people that if I must go I would rather it happen on the bike than while mowing the lawn or taking a dump.
Well, I spend much of my time of the day on the last activity, so it's fairly probable I'll end up in that way....
LOL:D:D

Anyway... I've been also a Private Pilot in the 90's (Cessna, Piper) and lots of people warned me about possible plane crashes... but I used the "DGAD" (*) approach!:s

Ciao
Ugo

(*) "Don't Give A Damn", (sometimes twisted in DGAF)
:p:p

I hear the same thing from everyone who doesn't ride as well.

One of my very best friends has been training for a cross-country bicycle tour with his brothers. He would love to have a Harley, but his family feels they are too dangerous.

Last Thursday morning, while riding his bicycle, he was struck by a car right in front of the local police and fire station. Fortunately, he only received bumps and bruises, but it was pretty scary for everyone.

After hearing he was OK, my twisted sense of humor just couldn't let him know that since the cager couldn't see him with his white helmet, reflective vest, and 2 headlights, that he obviously needs louder pipes on his bike. :D

LOL!!!! There ya go!!!!!!! When does he take delivery?

I tell them we are all going to die one day, we can't control it, we don't know how or when, it could be standing on a street corner, in a car, falling out of a tree, or just plain old age when its time its time, so I might as well enjoy what I like doing RIDING MY BIKE

I had thought this thread would die,being morbid as it is, and I know I have commented on it once (walk away) but it is one of those threads that seem to have a life of it's own. So I will post this ,I have been administered last rites twice in my life ,once thought I had only a short time to live and NONE OF IT WAS CAUSED BY A MOTORCYCLE! Listen to me,don't think about mortality,think about now! And have fun with every day!:D

Almost met the angels twice in the Navy: once on a ship where the boilers almost blew up (blew part of the stack several hundred feet in the air, ship was DIW for 3 days until the ocean-going tug arrived), and once on a mission that I still can't talk about (small arms fire).

Since the second "almost", I take it one day at a time. Being in the saddle just makes those days so much BETTER!

\burt

Did almost 2000 parachute jumps between military static line, militaryfall (HALO), and civilian skydiving. Did hundreds dives between military, civilian Scuba, & time on a Dive Rescue team (still presently a member). Was shot once and recieved shrapnel wounds once while in the service. Had a midair collision once on a static line jump. I figure there is no sence in playing it safe now.

People die in the shower, I don't stop doing that, if I did I would have a lot less friends!!!:bigsmiley20:

I know I am not the only rider to have this happen.

I met a person yesterday, who -- through conversation -- asked me if I ride. I said yes. Immediately the discussion turned to horrible motorcycle accidents and deaths and how she wouldn't let her husband ride one because he has responsibilities as a husband and father, and he just can't die right now.

I got irritated by the whole thing as she smiled and smiled.

I mean, when you buy a car people don't go on and on about how many car accidents there have been lately. And how you are obviously going to die in a car wreck.

What is the line you use in a conversation like this???

:eam

My husband and I try to stop, wait and listen, when someone's "going off" because it almost always comes around to.... they lost someone close to them in a bike accident. I sympethetically agree with them that "It's a dangerous sport". Then we try to bring the focus back to "it's my personal choice to ride. I'm passionate about it and love it." I also remind them that the majority of riders believe that the only way to ride is to ride safe. We give them a smile or handshake (and a hug if needed) and move on. Then you have the Joeschmoes who just want to give you a hard time. One guy went off about all these people who got killed on bikes and I stopped him. I told him that it wasn't cool to talk like that to me... that it wasn't fair. He settled down and apologized. I think it depends on each person and their "tone" of voice. Some people are truly hurt and some are just "rude" & are "know-it-alls".

I agree it depends on who and their tone,usually I agree one needs to ride with a great deal of awareness and caution then head for my bike with a smile on my face. Most of my encounters seem to be agitated that I'm having too much fun on the streets at my age or that they are not. Jealously ? Shurly not! A bit of irony, ten months ago I was in a serious accident coming home from the Harley shop, in my pick-up.

Back