free website stats program When they find out you ride a motorcycle... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When they find out you ride a motorcycle...

I can't remember where I saw this:
"Fear does not keep one from dying, it keeps one from living."

When someone decides to tell me how dangerous riding is I ask them if they know how many people die each year in cars, bath tubs, and dining rooms. I then ask how many people die of cancer, heart disease, and strokes.

It doesn't really help, but it makes my point.

I also tell them that my life is (in a way) in their hands, so please drive carefully.

I tell them I know guys that have been riding 30 or 40 years and are still alive; but I've also kown people that were killed in car accedents before they got out of grade school or high school.

I tell them that I spent 20 years in the miltary and could have died at any time,but I dont hear you telling me that I should not have served my country. I enjoyed my service time almost as much as riding my Harley.

I usually tell them I don't plan on living for ever anyway. I would much rather be blindsided and taken out than lay up in a bed in a diaper as an old man. That usually gets a raised eyebrow.

Is it that they fear the pain of death, or could it be they fear the joy of life?

I just say I'm on the downhill slide of life anyway and may as well take some chances. That at least if I die on my bike, I will die happy, doing something I love.

I also went skydiving in Hawaii, last March. : )
:42:

Yeah, I've been there with the conversations. I tell them that nobody gets out alive anyway. If I do go, I hope it's on a motorcycle, for I'll go doing something I love to do. I'm alive and going to live each day like it's my last one, one of these days it will be. :D

My wife would not let me have a scooter until the kids were in college, but I couldn't afford it because....they were in college. Funny how she planned that so well.

Anyway, the kids think it's cool that we both ride our own Harley's. Heck, my wife has two! We live for today for tomorrow may never come. It's just the way it is.
Ugly John

Last edited:
I used to know a guy who died sitting in his pickup in the parking lot at work. He told his Ol' Lady he didn't feel good that morning but didn't want to miss work. He showed up 1/2 hour early and died waiting to go to work. He was 52 years old. He didn't ride a bike. He is still dead.

Back