free website stats program when parked is your bike in gear or neutral? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

when parked is your bike in gear or neutral?

When parked is your bike in gear or in neutral?

• In Gear

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • In Neutral

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • In gear on incline

Votes: 14 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I park with the nose uphill and in gear if it is more than a very gentle slope

Brian

Usually parked in neutral, unless on a hill. Is it really necessary to pull the clutch in when starting if its in neutral??? I never have before.

neutral,unless circumstances require otherwise.Tryed starting once to often forgetting bike was in gear.HOWEVER...I always start up with the clutch in,somewhere in the back of my mind tells me,even in a car,starting with the clutch in reduces some drag or other and makes it easier on your battery and starter.Please dont hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong(no real need to say that huh?!).

When working at a Harley shop with a slight grade at service door I parked a older harley in gear. The service manager came out to start bike to take in shop.
I did not know that their policy was to park all bikes in nuetral all the time. Fortunatly the bike just cranked and moved a foot and did not start. Boy did I learn fast........:sd

Usually parked in neutral, unless on a hill. Is it really necessary to pull the clutch in when starting if its in neutral??? I never have before.

I always have the clutch in, it's just an old habit. Picked up bike yesterday from Service Department. Service Manager made a point of telling me the bike was parked in front, in gear. Figured it may have been an issue in the past with other customers.

If backed into curb, neutral, if on any forward incline, in gear. Always start with front brake and clutch held.

Just what I learned.

When working at a Harley shop with a slight grade at service door I parked a older harley in gear. The service manager came out to start bike to take in shop.
I did not know that their policy was to park all bikes in nuetral all the time. Fortunatly the bike just cranked and moved a foot and did not start. Boy did I learn fast........:sd

Heard a similar story at a dealer here in the Atlanta area. Technician comes out, sits on bike, raises jiffy stand, hits starter, and almost impales bike on the closed door as it lurches forward. He then yells out, "What kind of idiot leaves their bike parked in gear?" Bike owner happens to have seen the whole thing, heard the tech yelling, and responds, "What kind of idiot hits the starter switch without pulling in the clutch first?"

Personally, I always park with the bike in first gear. I even let out the clutch and roll the bike gently back until I feel the slack taken out and I know the tranny will act as a parking brake. This prevents ANY creeping while on the jiffy stand.

For starting - tranny in neutral, clutch lever pulled in, foot brake firmly applied.

Back