free website stats program When it's Cold, How Cold is Cold | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When it's Cold, How Cold is Cold

Last year during the winter I did 15 degrees without the 70mph wind chill factored in. It was crazy cold. Unfortunately, right now, this winter, I dont have a choice since my truck blew a head gasket so until its fixed, the Heritage is my daily driver no matter how cold it gets. My dad once told me to use the age method.....never ride in weather colder than your age...the older you get, the warmer it gets for riding!!

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Last year during the winter I did 15 degrees without the 70mph wind chill factored in. It was crazy cold. Unfortunately, right now, this winter, I dont have a choice since my truck blew a head gasket so until its fixed, the Heritage is my daily driver no matter how cold it gets. My dad once told me to use the age method.....never ride in weather colder than your age...the older you get, the warmer it gets for riding!!

Later,
2002SilverSurfer

Here in Maine, at my age of 61, that would mean that I get to ride those two days we call summer!:s

I hear you Butch...Looks like the days of salt on the road here are upon us.Although I could'nt help taking the bike to the store today.

You didn't specify what you are riding. I pack the Harley in at about 40 but I don't have a windshield on it. But I have ridden my snowmobile in the sub zero temps. :D

The temperature doesn't much matter I ride till they pack the roads with salt, then I hope for a rain to wash it away That stuff is just too slippery on the corners.

I agree, my FatBob runs great in 30 to 40 degree weather. Sucks the cold air and stays a little cooler, but then again, so do I. I'm glad to see so many of you riding in the cold and being called nuts by the old lady. Now I can say, "See, I told you I'm not the only nut out there." Thanks guys.

Rode to work this morning, when I left the house it was 22 degrees. Had a great ride in, cold crisp air, bright sunshine. Heated gloves, Fox Creek leather jacket, neoprene wraps for the knees and thermals for the legs kept me comfortable but at my age (52) my joints don't thaw as quickly as they used to. Temp guage on the scoot said 20 degrees for the ride home, felt a little warmer than that. Getting to the point now where I have to decide whether it's practical to do this, it takes about 25 minutes to get ready for a 20 minute ride. It's one thing to do this for the commuting benefits, another to do it for a nice Sunday ride. The bike sure does love this weather though.

You didn't specify what you are riding. I pack the Harley in at about 40 but I don't have a windshield on it. But I have ridden my snowmobile in the sub zero temps. :D
This is about the same with me. I have no windshield and I refuse to put one on my bike. I prefer 50's, but I will take quick spins in 30's and 40's. I like to enjoy my ride, when it starts to be uncomfortable, I just rather not ride. It is usually windy along the coast here, so it really adds to the temps. I never had a snowmobile, but growing up we had quads and dirt bikes and we drove them daily year round, rain, snow or shine.

I refuse the windshield also. It takes away from the look of the bike. I know it takes away the cold air too. But I'm with you, I ride to enjoy it. If it's cold, cut the ride short (if you can) before the discomfort sets in. It was 18 degrees here this morning, so that's a little tooooo cold for me. Drove the cage to work.

Me, on a nightrain, I'm good down to about 40. The other day I bought a Neophrene (sp?) gator neck with a "bib" in the front. I can pull it up to just below the nose... works great.

Back