free website stats program When is my Electra Glide empty? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When is my Electra Glide empty?

When the bike stops running the gas tank is usually empty. My 47 years has taught me that. Of course I can't fix my own electrical problem but I think some of these folks have headed me in the right direction. Fossil
Now Fossil, I have been biting my tongue/taping the fingers to not say that. :D :ROFL

When my low fuel light comes on I have a little more than 1.5 gallons left. I don't much care if it's accurate as long as its dependable and so far it has been. On the road plan on fueling every 150 miles or so (less if preferable to more). 150 miles is a nice point to stretch the legs check the bike, fuel get a drink so it all works out well for me and usually gives me a comfortable fuel cushion in case the wife gets me lost or something.

Go by mileage for sure .. this weekend i went up north when we left towards home today it said i had 80 miles to go .. when i hit the town of mio I had 40 left .. out side of mile it said 39 to go and the low Fuel light came on first time i have seen it its 16 miles to the next city Rose City by the time i got there it told me i had 42 miles to go .. after hitting a low of 30 miles before it went back up to 42 ... So i dont trust it i figure 180 miles on the tank time to start looking supposely there is a Orange and Red low fuel light i only saw the orange

I agree with others here. I use the light as a visual, but watch the mileage. I'll put between 4.5 and 4.7 gals @ 165, when I'm riding solo. I found that @165 miles 2-up, I'll be real close to 5 gals. On a recent trip to the TX hill country, I was @165mi and put in 4.9...too close for comfort, so now when 2-up I stop sooner.

The fuel guage needle on my 07 Ultra goes way below E. It seems that at E I still have a half gallon to go. I did run it way down once. 202 miles and took 4.9 gallons to fill my 5 gallon tank. The needle was way below E. I really didn't intend to run it so dry. I missed a gas station.

I hate the gauge on my RK ...When the fuel light comes on I only have about .3 gallons so you better get gas soon. I would rather it warn me with about a gallon to go like my old softail did but thats life. I started considering the 1/4 tank mark as empty to be safe. I try to not let it get below that.

Hard to really miss the "good" old days when you judged how much gas you had by sloshing the tank from side to side and listening though.

I usually keep my 08 Ultra's odometer on the "r" to see how many miles I have left in the tank. So far, so good. My light comes on at around 40 or 50 miles left, not sure which. Ive had it down to showing 15 miles remaining, but that was around town where I knew where the gas stations were.

If out in the country I usually fill up close to the light coming on or as soon as I can after it comes on as I've noticed the "r"emaining miles left fluctuates a ton depending on headwinds/hills/speed.

I hate the gauge on my RK ...When the fuel light comes on I only have about .3 gallons so you better get gas soon. I would rather it warn me with about a gallon to go like my old softail did but thats life. I started considering the 1/4 tank mark as empty to be safe. I try to not let it get below that.

I have found the same with my 07 RK. When the light comes on I have less than a gallon and it's fluctuated between .6 and .3 gallons. I usually reset the trip meter when I fuel up and check it regularly. If I am going for a long ride I will leave the trip meter up so I can monitor my miles. So far I can get to about 180+ miles before I need to start thinking about stopping at the gas station.

on my 06 fxst (5 gal tank) the light comes on just as the gauge hits the red witch is 1/4 of a tank the local dealer told me it can be adjusted but I told them not to fool with it normally I fuel up when it comes on but I have gone 20 miles to the next exit with the light on and it took 4 1/2 gallons

Back