free website stats program When is my Electra Glide empty? | Harley Davidson Forums

When is my Electra Glide empty?

Keitht

I have an 08 Electra Glide classic.

I believe it has a 6 gallon fuel tank. When it is on empty, I fill it and I can only get 4 gallons in. So is there 2 gallons left after empty?

I know the manual says that when it gets low enough a "low fuel light" will come on. I have never seen this light even though I have ran it right up to the big E. I wouldn't know what the light looked like if it did come on? Does it say: "low Fuel"?

I just want to know for sure when I absolutely need fuel.

The fuel gauges in these bikes are anything but accurate. If it is that far off, have the dealer look at it or drain the tank and add a pre measured amount to see what puts the low fuel light off. They will no doubt tell you they are all like that and do nothing but worth a try.

My 05 Ultra is half full when the gauge is just below full and has about a quarter tank when on half. I go by mileage.

I know mine is not a touring Bikes but when my low fuel (picture of the yellow container) light is on, I have about a gallon left in the tank, 5.0 gal tank.

There is a little light on the speedo that looks like a gas can. When it comes on, your odometer switches to r mode, which tells you how many miles you have left on reserve. I would say mine is not very accurate either, but I have seen it on a couple of times, and been able to put over 5 gallons in.

I'm glad to see this, as hubby & I were out one afternoon, he thought he had about a 1/4 tank & that we should be good for a few miles. So, instead of heading directly to the gas station, (out of the planned route) we take off, get about 8 miles and his fuel light had come on. Well, the navigator missed a turn, so we ended up riding about 20 more miles before I realized that things weren't making sense and got us to the gas station. He put 5.2 gallons in the tank. I am glad to see that tid bit about the odometer info Crazyfrog, since I asked him if he was on reserve yet, and he pointed out that his was FI, he didn't have a fuel switch. :) So, I guess I should read his manual now. :D

On my 07, the low fuel light comes on between 162 and 168 miles on the odometer. Normally takes 3.9 to 4.1 gal to fill.
I have always gone by the odometer rather than a gauge on any bike or other vehicle I have ever owned. The fuel gauge has always been just a visual indicator. I reset my odometer at every fillup and keep an eye on the miles.
Must work, never ran out of fuel...... yet! LOL!

I have an 08 Ultra with 7K miles
I leave it on R on the odometer almost all the time The low fuel light is just like whoever said its on the speedometer and yellow It will come on the first time the R says under 40 miles. Then it will continue down to about 10 ,then it just says LOThen is when I worry last time I got that low I rode 5 more miles then put in 5.85 gallons in the 6 gallon tank So, Mine works good.......test it slowly usually im at 220 miles when I fill up.

I need to go play with hubbies bike. :s I may have him test the reserve reading, but close to home or with a gallon of gas on the back. :D

When the bike stops running the gas tank is usually empty. My 47 years has taught me that. Of course I can't fix my own electrical problem but I think some of these folks have headed me in the right direction. Fossil

Back