free website stats program When is it too windy to ride? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

When is it too windy to ride?

Thanks for the replies. I agree that if it's no longer fun, best to park it.

On Friday I left Mustang Oklahoma (west of Oklahoma City) Friday with a tail wind and rode to Kansas to see the folks. Easy and very comfortable ride, averaged 46 MPG at 75-80 MPH. Saturday on the return was a bit different. Rode into a south wind (head on) 35-40 MPH wind. Still ran 70-75 MPH (that 6 speed loves it) but only got 32 MPG. Had this been a cross wind I think I would not have rode.

Anyway a 305 mile round trip blew off the cob webs. Thank God spring is here.

Rode just this past Saturday in North Texas on my Road King Classic where the wind was gusting from 20 - 40 mph in unprotected areas. the problem was the gusting crosswinds. I have only been riding for 3 months now and was not enjoying myself, especially when strong gusts hit me leaning into a curve. White knuckles on both hands and tight shoulders. Figured I had to tough it out. When we got back to the bike shop, the experienced riders were talking about how it was not that much fun being blown right and left so I did not feel so bad. I did decide however that I ride for fun, and when I have to worry about being blown over or down in a curve, or into oncoming traffic, it is not fun. North texas in spring is always windy. I will choose my days for riding so I can ride within my comfort zone.

You say you are traveling out of state so I recommend you just plan on some wind. Here in Texas if there is no wind something is wrong, normal 20-30 mph no big deal you have a heavy bike so just watch for sand and gravel that are creeping up on the paavement on curves. I don't worry about wind in the 40-45mph range, above 50mph you need more room and might keep your speed down to 60-65mph. You don't mention your speed of travel; if you ride at 70 to 85mph then head, side and tail winds less than 50 mph are no big deal, if you want to do over 100mph then even 30mph side gusts will keep your adrenaline level up and you will need to rest more often. If riding with a group and in staggered formation, just expect a little drifting on curves from side gusts and ride with a little more space or be ready to see a taillight by your shoulder.

But that is what makes it all fun right? Otherwise you would be caged up and on 4 wheels.

Here in Southern Utah, we frequently get 30 to 45 mph gusts of wind from the canyons. My fatboy with the solid wheels gets blown around enough, but with a standard size wind screen....it's a bit much. If high winds are expected, I just remove the "sail" and ride without it. Be safe.

What about all the sand blasting on the front faring or tank? Don't want a pleasure ride costing me big bucks to fix something that would bug me every time I look at the ride. Think I would make the choice very carefully if I could. Kind A picky with the big $$$$ cobalt blue RK SE.:D

All depends on your comfort level. We sometimes get huge gusty winds in this area. I was riding down I40 and learned what wind socks were all about one afternoon. Crossed a bridge and the gusts almost blew me into the other lane. Sometimes wonder why they have bridges in NM since very little water exists.

Most importantly, BE SAFE! I, however do not follow my own advise..haha...I have been riding over the Sunshine Skyway many times in VERY inclement weather. Anyone who knows the bridge will attest to my being nuts and very not safe! haha

My friend. I've just done my first 1500 miles in about 12 years. I crossed a long bridge-tunnel saturday night where the news said there were 35 mph gusts. I managed it but did NOT like it. Wife was on back so the bike was more stable. That same night another man on another bridge maybe 5 miles away died because the wind blew him into the bridge. He was 60 and likely had WAY more experience than me. ALWAYS take the safe option. If you are uncomfortable, don't do it.

Most importantly, BE SAFE! I, however do not follow my own advise..haha...I have been riding over the Sunshine Skyway many times in VERY inclement weather. Anyone who knows the bridge will attest to my being nuts and very not safe! haha

I know your bridge. The sunshine Die-way when those spring mini-monsoons hit just after noon, every single day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back