free website stats program When is it too windy to ride? | Harley Davidson Forums

When is it too windy to ride?

BikeSAG

Leaving on an out of state ride and will enjoy a 20-25 mph tail wind. However the forecast calls for 35 mph head wind upon return. So I was wondering....when is it too windy for you to ride?

I think that all depends on your comfort level and if the wind is constant or gusting. A constant tail or head wind is a lot easier to deal with than a buffeting cross wind. Riding with the wind is great, almost effortless, riding into the wind sucks up a bit more fuel. Riding in a cross wind can be dangerous if there are exposed curves and cuts through hills etc. Ride out of a sheltered cut into a sideways blast can send you across a lane if you are not ready for it. This is what happened to an NHL hockey player a year ago and the end result was tragic. You probably know all this already but its a good thing to re-think about as the riding season gets under way. Enjoy your ride and stay safe.

I Ride where the winds are really gusty and unpredictable, the gusts come down off the mountains and can really happen anytime in this area. I always slow down and keep lots of open space to the leeward side because it is gonna move you, hunker down and watch ahead for clearings, crossroads etc, that leave an opening for the strong gusts. I recognize most bad areas from blowing snow in the winter. Of course when the gusts start hitting 120/130 you find shelter and park. Luckily these winds are usually forcast.
Ride Safe

We get the Santa Ana or devil winds out here. Although it's a pain any ride is a good ride. I'd say you don't want to ride through the eye of a tornado, but I'm kind of a pansy.

I think that all depends on your comfort level and if the wind is constant or gusting. A constant tail or head wind is a lot easier to deal with than a buffeting cross wind. Riding with the wind is great, almost effortless, riding into the wind sucks up a bit more fuel. Riding in a cross wind can be dangerous if there are exposed curves and cuts through hills etc. Ride out of a sheltered cut into a sideways blast can send you across a lane if you are not ready for it. This is what happened to an NHL hockey player a year ago and the end result was tragic. You probably know all this already but its a good thing to re-think about as the riding season gets under way. Enjoy your ride and stay safe.

well said+1

Ive ridden a bike through some very strong winds mind you its always windy here
although these days ill use the car if its windy as usually driving rain at the same time

Brian

When the wind pushes me cross 3 lanes of traffic, its time to hide for a while

Back