free website stats program When is it time to stop dumping money into a bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When is it time to stop dumping money into a bike

Basically I'm finished with the bling for my 07 EG. Main focus has been service and functionality. Now it's time to put her through the paces and rack up the miles on her. IMO Decide on the bike that meets or will meet your needs for the next ten years then choose. A 88ci WG will get you to the Grande Canyon or across Death Valley the same as a 96ci 09 RK. No matter what decision you make I'll bet you will be happy with it.

Basically I'm finished with the bling for my 07 EG. Main focus has been service and functionality. Now it's time to put her through the paces and rack up the miles on her. IMO Decide on the bike that meets or will meet your needs for the next ten years then choose. A 88ci WG will get you to the Grande Canyon or across Death Valley the same as a 96ci 09 RK. No matter what decision you make I'll bet you will be happy with it.
You can never be finished with the bling. :s

I still love my WG and it is not going anywhere for awhile. With this market, it would never sell and I would never get what I want for it anyway, so that is why I plan on hanging on to her for a couple of more years till the economy gets a little better, lets hope anyway. Maybe Santa will bring some gift certificates for Harley or maybe some parts circled in the catalog, I will wait till mid winter to get this stuff done...

I'm in the same boat. My FatBob is an 08. I'm ready to dump another grand or so into her for a Stage One. And I'm sure I'll go with more chrome. I own and I keep buying Harley Davidson Stock. That way I feel good about spending money on my Harley, In the long run hopefully I get it back.

It's funny.... I never went for the BLING.

When i bought my RK, the only way to get it from the dealer at MSRP (back when they charged a premium), was to let him add 1500 to 2000 in "accessories".

Front end was chromed (not my picks, just the way it was when I first saw her).

First thing I did was change the console nut to the bullseye..... cost was less than 10 bucks. Since then, NOTHING. As a matter of fact, it strated turning into a rat bike. I fabricated a mount for an EZ-pass / speed-pass for toll roads, I built 2 different video camera mounts, I added a dash clock (first one really sucked), and fabbed a GPS mount.

Now I have started wrenching on my bike (got some free time), and have JUST finally added highway pegs (HUGE IMPROVEMENT!!!). Also added a luggage rack (HD branded), to carry my 30 packs of beer home (got tired or balancing it on the BIATCH seat, against the back rest).

Am SLOWLY taking off the ratbike things.... but probably won't add BLING in place. and my FAB skills are improving.... am going to FINALLY re-jet, and pull the carb plug to adjust mixture... and might even go stage II on the air (home-built kit, of course!).

I should be thinking about a new bike NOW.... but LOVE her too much to let her go.... so am gonna FINALLY add what she needs... and what I want.... but not BLINGY stuff.

Back