free website stats program When is it time to stop dumping money into a bike | Harley Davidson Forums

When is it time to stop dumping money into a bike

Irish Hog

Well I was wondering today when It might be time to stop adding parts to the old girl and maybe start saving for that new shinny bike in a couple of years. I have a 01 with very low miles and thought about putting on some new long shots, new chrome brakes, rotors and doing the chrome forks. This is going to hit the pocket pretty good, but I would love to see my bike decked out with this look, but is it worth it??? I would like to keep this bike for many more years, but I have had some Road King fever and I would like to buy a brand new RK in the next couple of years, but I think I will need to sell the ol Wide Glide to get some money down. So any opinions?? You think that putting a couple of grand into her now will keep the value? or am I going to take really big loss. I would just love to sport this bike around with these last few additions, even if it is for a year or so.

You stop putting money in... when you get the next one and start all over again. I think you might already have a low grade fever... it only get worst.. might as well go ahead and do it..

how bad do you want the RK?
why not use the money to put the deposit down and have both bikes :D
or if you really must have the road king use the money and the bike and get the bike you want.
but you state you want to keep yours for a good while longer then do the upgrades you want you wont loose much if any as HD's with a good selection of nice shiny parts sell for a little more than a stock bike
Believe me I would love to keep both, I would love to hang the Wide Glide over the fire place and show her off to company if i could :p. But being realistic, I really do not have room in the garage for two bikes, the wife likes her taxi in the garage, so that chews up a bunch of space, not to mention that I would not have the time for two bikes, up keep and such..I am just more or less curious to hear from the veteran riders on when it is time to stop adding the chrome and goodies to a bike pushing 10 years old, or is the sky the limit, keep going??.

You stop putting money in... when you get the next one and start all over again. I think you might already have a low grade fever... it only get worst.. might as well go ahead and do it..
I went down to the dealer with a friend that just picked up a Heritage and while I was waiting I noticed a new Black and White RK and I just fell in love with it. It is a low grade fever now, but like you said it is going to get worse. I was two inches from buying it, but I really need to wait a couple of more years...

When you make a choice that's when it's time to stop dumping money:s I have an ungodly amount of money in my Roadking, 106" stroker,2 different custom paint jobs, 2 into 1 exhaust, upgraded brakes, chrome lower legs, upgraded oil pump, all the detachable stuff, etc., etc. I was wrenching a few weeks ago and went for another part and had my credit run for a new bike and now am the owner of the 99 RK and an 09 StreetGlide. Now it starts again famous last words I'm going to leave it alone!! Got the Klock Werks windshield now want an air cleaner and exhaust upgrade, going to wait a little while though.:newsmile093:

Trust me... a lot of experience.. the fever only gets worst. Right now I am drooling over the new Street Glide... for me I just don't go to the HD Dealer at all. If I did more than likely driving it home....

Definitely don't regret it! The new frame and all the changes it's the most comfortable bagger I've ever ridden, and the handling is insane:D:D:newsmile093: You only live once. I can't spend it when I'm gone

That's why I'm keeping the Roadking right now! The dealer said they'd give me around 7k if they would even take it, no thanks. It doesn't owe me anything and it's paid for. If I get in a jam and need cash then I'll think about it.:p

From all that you have said, I would maintain what I have. Don't put anymore in it. Then in a couple of years when you have your ducks lined up sell your Wideglide outright, hold back about three grand (or more if you can) of that to "get started" accessorizing the new RK. Then Bag the new RK, and start hanging the shiny stuff on her. I have had three RK's and you can take this to the bank. It is a mighty fine ride and your life will not be happy without it.

That's my two cents worth.

And remember...even a blind man knows a Harley-Davidson when it putts by.:)

Well I was wondering today when It might be time to stop adding parts to the old girl and maybe start saving for that new shinny bike in a couple of years. I have a 01 with very low miles and thought about putting on some new long shots, new chrome brakes, rotors and doing the chrome forks. This is going to hit the pocket pretty good, but I would love to see my bike decked out with this look, but is it worth it??? I would like to keep this bike for many more years, but I have had some Road King fever and I would like to buy a brand new RK in the next couple of years, but I think I will need to sell the ol Wide Glide to get some money down. So any opinions?? You think that putting a couple of grand into her now will keep the value? or am I going to take really big loss. I would just love to sport this bike around with these last few additions, even if it is for a year or so.

I :lolrollingthink it's time when they start dumping the dirt on your coffin.LOL

Back