When is enough too much???

Discussion in 'Oil' started by robotoroadracer, Jul 24, 2008.

1. robotoroadracer

robotoroadracer Member

I replaced the oil bypass spring with a new one (HD) and installed a zippers shim kit . I am now seeing hot idle pressure no lower than 24 psi. which I like compared to the fluctuations I was seeing before. But, pressure climbs to around a steady 52 psi at cruise speeds. Is this excessive and if it is what's the downside of running this high of a pressure? I've emailed zippers but haven't heard anything back.

2. Animal

Animal Active Member

As far as I know Harley's are lubed and cooled by amount of oil flowing through system and not by pressure, but you have to ask yourself wouldn't more pressure equal more flow. I don't know the answer to that one but have always been taught the more pressure the better.

3. The Bad Man's Angel

The Bad Man's Angel Active Member

Your fine.

4. enormousdwarf

enormousdwarf Member

Running too high a pressure can blow out seals that aren't designed for pressures that high.

5. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

I see few (like I can't remember when the last one was) oil pressure related failures.Just think about this.Pressure is the resistance to flow.If you can't deal with a little tappet noise there's always the VRod.