free website stats program When is enough enough??? | Harley Davidson Forums

When is enough enough???

barttoday

Thinking about ditching my samson cholo 2-2 exhaust. I dont know if I'm aging prematurely (or just my ears..) but I am getting tired of the loud rumble that keeps following me around town and down the highway. Love the look, but I have to quiet them down. I dont know what else to do but switch them out for something else. Do you guys think that I could sell them?? They sale for almost 800 brand new and only have about 5000 miles on them. They are in perfect shape. Hate to see them go, but you cannot shove a baffle into a fishtail pipe as far as I know. What do you think? I have been looking at the D&D fatcat 2-1 with quiet baffle, but I don't want to lose too much sound. You guys have any ideas?:small3d015:

I hear ya. The noise can be a pain in the ear and cause headaches. I just reinstalled the o.e. mufflers on my bike and amazed at how much more I like my bike. I really enjoy riding farther than before and when I come home I am refreshed from the ride and not tired and cranky. You have many options in selling exhaust. Are there quieter mufflers to fit on your head pipes?

Earplugs.........that's scary!! I am looking around for maybe a baffle for the headpipe. Any suggestions?? I really like the way I have my bike, just want to take it down a few dB's.

The d and d has a very good tone wwith the street legal baffle. I have the quiet and the middle road baffle. I switch back and forth. The quiet baffle sounds like a magnaflow.

Yeah, and the power from the 2-1 in undeniable. I just really like my look and would want to see if I could fit a baffle to it before scrapping the whole thing. I'll post what I find out!! Thanks for the input. I emailed Samson and Big City Thunder to see if they might have an option.

Old timer stuff aside, I agree with Scrappy, earplugs are cheaper and quite honestly, loud (but not crazy loud) actually save lives. Can't tell you how many times I have seen people backing out of their driveways hitting their brakes when my Sportster is in the vicinity. Have had to do evasive maneuvers on my Katana much more often, but only once so far did I have to do a zig zag to avoid being a towing bar ornament with my Sporty.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more about being loud saves lives. I've seen it many times. I use my pipes as a horn more often than my horn. Popping the throttle is easier, and MUCH louder than my wimpy horn. My pipes are CRAZY loud. I manned a .50 cal on a Humvee in Iraq for a year and put many a round down range and it made my ears ring a bit, but riding on my hog with my pipes the way they are is doing more damage. I just want to turn them down a bit. Not too much. I still like my wake up feature wrapped up in my throttle.

Is it a sign of old age when you don't want to hear real loud straight pipes on your bike? I thought if I wanted to hear the radio I would just put on Reinhearts slip ons.Now they will bark when you hit the throttle. barttoday thanks for your service in keeping us safe. I know this is way off the original post but things just happen.

Got word from Samson USA today and they told me that I would have to purchase the new slip ons from them with baffles in them if I wanted to keep the look. They don't make a baffle to slip into the pipe. Still waiting on Big City Thunder to see if they have a baffle that will fit into the headpipe.

Back