free website stats program When does your clutch engage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When does your clutch engage

Thanks guys. I'll knock it out tomorrow. I was curios to see how the rest of yours were. Have had many bikes, but was thinking maybe this was something new. And I totally agree. I am not going to wait. Even when I start it cold, it lunges a little forward. Which I know isn't correct.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
It is good to learn how to do it, but the bike is brand new. I would consider taking it to the dealer, unless they are under par like a lot of them. Although unlikely, there may be other issues. Good luck.

The "lunge" forward when starting will not go away after you adjust the clutch. It is caused by the wet clutch system. Even when the clutch lever is pulled all the way in, the discs are still stuck together by the oil coating the discs. Until the rotation of the engine breaks the adhesion of the clutch discs, the bike will move slightly when engaging the starter.

I actually went to the dealer to purchase the backrest for my wife. While there I mentioned it to my sales guy, and he took it back there and they adjusted it in about 10 minutes.

All is good on it and much better. Engages about mid position, just the way I like it.

Thanks for the replies and information.

Good 4 u as I said before most bikes are not set right from the factory dealer prep sometimes is not good, better to have the clutch adjusted now gefore u have pre mature wear and tear and have it rechecked and adjusted cold at 1000 mile check up good luck and enjoy your new bike

2010, I thought they had a hydraulic clutch in the new model year, or maybe I am thinking of the Screaming Eagle Ultra a friend just bought?

So i just bought my 2010 Street Glide this past weekend. And notice the clutch starts engaging as soon as I start releasing the clutch lever. I mean I hold right up against the bar and as soon as I start releasing it, it engages.

My other bike is more in the middle. Just checking to see where most of yours are at.

It's because it is new. Mine did that for a while, then it loosened up. Now it engages about an inch or so out.

Back