free website stats program When does your clutch engage | Harley Davidson Forums

When does your clutch engage

Monsoon

So i just bought my 2010 Street Glide this past weekend. And notice the clutch starts engaging as soon as I start releasing the clutch lever. I mean I hold right up against the bar and as soon as I start releasing it, it engages.

My other bike is more in the middle. Just checking to see where most of yours are at.

I would say you need to adjust Both the "under the derby cover" lock nut and your cable free play. Looking at the clearance between the lever and the handbar grip, I can come out at Least 1/2 to 3/4" before I will start to engage.

Hoop!

give it a week or so unless it bugs you too much. the cable will stretch a little after using it a few days. If you simply can't stand it the way it is take it to the dealer and tell them to give you some free play. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Everybody is right about it getting better. My 10 ltd was pretty bad also. I like having a little drag in my clutch and after 800 miles mine seems to be loosening up. Or maybe im just getting used to it.

Congrats on the new bike. Ride the heck out of it and make you list for your 1k tune up to talk to them about it. I didn't notice on my 09, just adjusted my riding style to fit the new bike. Best T

So i just bought my 2010 Street Glide this past weekend. And notice the clutch starts engaging as soon as I start releasing the clutch lever. I mean I hold right up against the bar and as soon as I start releasing it, it engages.

My other bike is more in the middle. Just checking to see where most of yours are at.

Maybe just that the cable "free play" was adjusted a bit tight or improperly when COLD. Once the bike and clutch is warm is there anything like 1/4" or 3/8" movement before the cable pulls the clutch? Just curious...

Last edited:
So i just bought my 2010 Street Glide this past weekend.

I don't understand. If the bike is Brand New, why drive the bike a thousand miles with the clutch not adjusted properly. If it's that much out, which it sounds like it is, it is possible the clutch is not fully dis-engaging when shifting and when dropping it into 1st from neutral. That is something I would not want to do to my new bike & tranny.

My guess is you have a Ton of lever free play. If you do, watch the self help video on cable adjustment. Adjust it yourself in 10 minutes, then at the 1K they should do both adjustments.
It may not be a Big deal problem that may wear in. But so is adjusting the freeplay in the cable. It's not a big deal adjustment that I would do.

I agree with Hoople.Adjust it so it's right now,not just better a thousand miles from now.Do it yourself,it, easy.

It easy to adjust and you should learn to do it anyway if you don't already know. Mine actually changes as the primary & clutch warms up. Seems to me the clutch in my evo and old shovelhead were not as hard to stay adjusted like my 09 Ultra. You'll find a compromise once you learn how. Of course the dealer should set it up properly for you either way. It takes the cable time to stretch and settle into a permanent position. I would not wait either to adjust it or have it adjusted. No use putting any extra strain on the tranny or clutch.

Back