free website stats program When an Engine Gets Hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

When an Engine Gets Hot

When your motor gets Over Hot like at a light, It goes into the Heat Mode of shutting down the rear cylinder to compensate for the Heat..

Like said, while at a light Don't Blip the throttle.. IF YOU DO it will take you OUT of this Mode and defeat the purpose... This mode is there to PROTECT the engine AND your right leg from the Over Heat.

I find WHEN it comes on, I'll wait until Light changes then Blip the throttle and turn the management system OFF ,,, back to the regular Mode.. Then it Doesn't STRUGGLE as much getting to go.. I'm lucky I don't have to ride in a Situation that requires a lot of Stop n go...

AN oil cooler is a MUST in my book.. IT Helps to cool the oil WHEN MOVING..
I also use Redline 20/50 or 20/60 v-twin Redline Full synthetic oil. This HELPS as it is far superior to MOST other synthetics..

The break-down of oil under Heat is a BIG Problem... Good advice is to Change out to the better Synthetic lubes Suggested here on HDT..

I personally have gone to a FULL stage one on My 09 FLHR, using a TFI for the Needed Extra fuel to COOL the motor..

You will find that HD (because of EPA) has the bikes set REALLY LEAN,, This in itself causes Extreme HEAT.. I use the TFI by Dobecks Performance to Help cool things down and give me a Better running bike....

Because of the newer TC's design motors (stroked), they run HOTTER than their Older Models (pre 07's) TC' 88's.

Most of US that "KNOW" will do the " full stage one", and a lot use the TFI,,, JUST for HEAT purpose..

My bike really Changed when I went to a FULL Stage One THEN installed a TFI and Presto,, Runs a LOT COOLER.

I have a JAGG Oil Cooler waiting for me at my place in Az. where I WILL install it.

Now if you read like suggested You will find ALL the Answers YOU need.

If Not Just ASK..

signed....BUBBIE

Your bike has EITMS (engine idle temp.management system), fuel is shut off to one cyl. at idle when a certain temp. is reached. That may be the throttle "lag" you describe. Type engine temp. management in the search box in the top right corner of this page, and you will get a lot of info. about eitms.

Breeze3at,

After reading through all of the reads I found through searching the EITMS, the EITMS is found only on the touring models and not on the softail line. All searches came back showing references to the Touring section. When I searched only the Softail section, I got no hits.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, I believe the EITMS is not available on the Softails. If I am incorrect, please show me reference to EITMS on the '08 softail.

Breeze3at,

After reading through all of the reads I found through searching the EITMS, the EITMS is found only on the touring models and not on the softail line. All searches came back showing references to the Touring section. When I searched only the Softail section, I got no hits.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, I believe the EITMS is not available on the Softails. If I am incorrect, please show me reference to EITMS on the '08 softail.

Don't know I will check that out. I know my 07 Dyna has it. Not sure why one model would have it and one would not. They all have to stop in traffic. I have mine disabled, it will still drop the idle speed down but my rear cylinder still fires. I don't really see myself how it cools the front cylinder that much being it's only connected to the rear by the crankcase. So even if I had the Heat Mode activated it would only serve me as to the fact that it's time for me to turn my bike off and let the both cylinders cool down.

Actually I've read on HD's site in their own words, the the Heat Mode was implemeted for ' Rider comfort '. In other words cool the rear cylinder so it don't burn your thighs. I don't see how it can do much for the front cylinder.

I have both an oil cooler and a lenale fan but if I had to choose between the two it will be the lenale fan since it attacks the head area where the heat is.

Are you sure that the '08 softail has EITMS? I believe the touring bikes have it but I didn't see any reference to it in my owner's manual even though it is for a '09 model.

I forgot (or did I really know) that it was touring models only. :newsmile07:

The dealer told me mine has the capability and told me he would turn it on for free if I wanted it even though I bought my bike used. The newer TBW bikes can be turned on and off by the owner, (check your manuals).

I don't think mine is turned on since I've never had the distintive single cylinder firing sound or smell that goes along with full Heat Mode, but I have (on two occasions at real long traffic lights in hot summer) had my idle rpms drop noticebly down around 850 rpms and the motor starts to sound like it's got a high lift and long duration cam or something.

I not totally sure the Heat Mode is off. Only thing I'm totally sure will be off, ... would be my engine if it runs too long at a stop in hot weather. I use my lenale fan all the time at lights unless it's really cold weather.

My '07 softail deluxe has heat management. I believe as some have said that it has to be activated by the dealer, usually done automatically during setup and de-activated upon request. I believe all 96" have it starting from 2007 when they brought in the 96".

Just a thought here , I really don't know how accurate those oil tank thermometers are really . Yesterday it was 80 here , I got stuck at a light where I had to wait for it to change twice before I could make it through . I could really feel the heat from the exhaut on my leg . When I got home I decided to put my rochester thermometer in the oil to check the temp. , it said 180 , and this was only about 1 1/2 miles from the light to my house at 40 mph . I do run synthetic but the exhaust makes it seem hotter than it really is IMO .

Just a thought here , I really don't know how accurate those oil tank thermometers are really.

You can check them for accuracy by putting them in a pot of boiling water. Should be right at 212* when the water starts to boil.
(or 100* Celcius for our buddies across the pond)
:D

The dealer told me mine has the capability and told me he would turn it on for free if I wanted it even though I bought my bike used. The newer TBW bikes can be turned on and off by the owner, (check your manuals).

I don't think mine is turned on since I've never had the distintive single cylinder firing sound or smell that goes along with full Heat Mode, but I have (on two occasions at real long traffic lights in hot summer) had my idle rpms drop noticebly down around 850 rpms and the motor starts to sound like it's got a high lift and long duration cam or something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the motor needs to be idling at least 900 rpm for the oil pump to function properly. Seems if the oil pump isn't putting out enough pressure, the motor is gonna run hotter at low idle speeds. Maybe this is different in the newer bikes with the EITMS.

Back