free website stats program Wheels keep blowing valve stems at high speeds | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheels keep blowing valve stems at high speeds

billchaney

Account Removed
Have had three wheel valve stems blow out on me going over 80 miles an hour. Using factory Harley Mags. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you stop it.

Had one blow out on my cage a few years back. I was done with those rubber valves.

Attachments

• valve 003.jpg
    valve 003.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 47
  • valve 004.jpg
    valve 004.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 41
  • valve 002.jpg
    valve 002.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 45
Is it just one wheel?
Check clearance of the valve stem.
We all ride many miles and never have that problem. I'd check for physical interference.

Does not have to be chrome plated brass. HD also has an all metal stem under part# 43157-83A that may work on your wheels.

This is a strange occurrence. The last thing you want is to loose a valve stem at any speed. Be sure to check wheels for where the stems are mounted, something must be amiss. The valves are getting cut or stem hole oblonged. If wheels okay are you using valve stems specifically for motorcycles???

Have had three wheel valve stems blow out on me going over 80 miles an hour. Using factory Harley Mags. Has anyone else had this problem? How do you stop it.

Did this just start happening or has it been a problem since you have owned the bike? Is it always on the same wheel? If it just started happening have you changed anything on the bike recently? How many miles on your current tires? Maybe we can help you determine what is causing this if we get an idea of just what the situation is. I'm sure this is a real problem for you, but it is something that most of us have never seen happen on a bike before.

Back