free website stats program wheels and fenders for 96 hd fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

wheels and fenders for 96 hd fatboy

I am looking at doing some changing on my fatboy. I am 23 years old, and trying to make it look more like its my bike and not my dads. lol. No offense to my elders. I want to do a 21" front wheel on it for now, and possibly do a 18 in the future but thats in the future. If I go with the 21, I am thinking of going with the 21x3.5 or the 21x2.15. Wanting to get a used one if possible to save me some cash. Also, I want it to have more of a custom chopper style look, so I am wanting to change up the front and rear fenders. Im just trying to get an idea of my options, and wanting to get some suggestions so I can look them up and pick what will fit me best. The rear im wanting to go with a strutless fender that fits pretty snug on the rear tire, has the chopper style (EDIT) look, and some small signals. widest tire possible for my bike without buying swingarms and all that, which I also need to know. Also, I am going with the arlen ness lowering kit for it and doing a badlander seat. I am also going to do a 2 or 4" stretch tank, probably a 2" so I dont have to modify the seat. So all in all, im looking for suggestions and info on wheels, tires, tanks, and fenders. I really want to get bolt on stuff and make install as easy as possible. I already have a custom paint in mind, so I need to start getting the parts so I can paint over winter. I am going to go with a black base coat, with tribal flames in silver. Then, im going to start going with the tribal flame theme all over piece by piece. All info is greatly appreciated.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
my1rstharly, it sounds to me like you have a fatboy and want a softail custom.Nothing wrong with that.
That said, it would be cheeper to sell the fatboy and buy a softail custom than buying all those parts.

whatyardwork, you are definatly right. I was originally looking for a softail custom, or a deuce. I had a sport bike i was trying to trade off for a harley or sell to get a harley. If any of you have tried to do a trade like that, you know how hard it is. Anyways, I ended up trading my sport bike for the fatboy straight up. Have no idea why the guy did it, but he did. I couldnt pass a trade like that up. My fat boy has 2800 miles on it and ive put almost 500 on it myself. So, when I got it from him, he had only ridden it approx 2300 miles in the 13 years he had it. Said he had a injury that would no longer allow him to ride, but he couldnt bring him self to sell. His son talked him into trying to trade it for a sportbike plus 7-8k cash. He was asking 14k for the fatboy. I sent him a pic of my rocket, and explained to him I had no cash to boot, and he turned it down instantly. Later that night, he called me and asked me to ride the bike to him so he could take a look but was 99% sure hed need good amount of cash. Told him I wasnt gonna waste my time if he was sure he didnt want to do it. Two days later his son called me and said his dad wanted me to ride out and let him see it and go from there. It was a nice day so i said heck with it and took the ride. He talked and talked the whole time and told me if id ride back the next morning he would trade. Thought for sure he was just scared to tell me no. The next morning I called him and like I had thought, he came up with every excuse he could and said no. Everything from not being able to pay taxes, to not being able to afford the insurance on a rocket. Then the next morning, he called me and told me to bring all my parts and give him my helmet, and hed do it. Told me to come quick before he changed his mind. I loaded up and made it there in 1hr, normally takes an hr alone but I got everything loaded and the drive done in the hr. I got there and he started talking cash again. Egh, I was so mad. Then after about half hr of him looking at mine and then back at his, he said lets go to the notary. We signed everything over and switched titles. On the way back from the notary, the guy started to tear up, then got sick all down the side of his sons car. I felt bad, but hey, it was all done and over with now. To this day i still dont see why he traded. Maybe a guy in a middle age crisis, I dunno. I had figured he did it for his son to ride, but both him and his son told me his son would never ever ride the rocket. Either way, im happy. I dont know why I just told this whole story. Guess im just proud of the deal I got and actually getting my first real bike. O, and my dad is happy as can be. Hes always wanted a harley, his dad always had harleys, and he cant help but smile everytime he sees me on the bike. He even got real serious on the way back home from getting the bike and told me we needed to turn back around and go back. I looked at him all confused, then he smiled and told me I forgot to give him a big kiss for doing such a odd trade. Lol. Just a pretty good father and son moment. He kept looking at the bike in the rear view mirror all the way home.

And what my plans are. I am wanting to keep all my stock parts, and then when I get a lil older and want that heritage style older look back, I can just switch back. the way I see it is, The bike has low miles and im hoping I can keep the bike for a long time. I want to try and buy things from ebay, carigslist, or forums to save some money. Thats where I need your help is to find out what parts fit my bike, whats interchangable etc. I have no clue on this stuff. i thought a 21x3.5 front wheel was a 21x3.5 front wheel. I didnt know there was different axle sizes and everything. I can find deals on used parts usually, but want to make sure its what I need so I dont waste time and money.

Im gonna try and post up the pic. Like I said, its not completly my style, but gotta start somewhere. Maroon and purple?? Who picks the colors. lol

well, there is a pic. Very small tho...new to this. If anyone know how to blow it up, be my guest.

Attachments

• fatboy 002.jpg
    fatboy 002.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good story and a good trade. So the guy actually got sick on his son's car??

Back