free website stats program Wheel Type and Ride Quality | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Type and Ride Quality

crow

I have a 2000 Road King and just bought a 2007 Ultra Glide. The Ultra rides harsher then the Road King. You feel the jolt on the bumps more pronounced.
I know the Ultra has Cartridge Type forks opposed to Air Ride. The Ultra Also had Cast Mag Wheels opposed to Wire Spoke. Is the the Cast Mags causing the harder ride?

Haven't rode a Big Twin with Cast Wheels till this bike. All mine has been Wire Spoke.

Thanks

More than likely the oil weight in the forks that's the difference you feel. Spokes versus mags shouldn't really affect the ride quality. My 03 E-Glide seems a little harsh over small bumps but still has a bit of nose dive when braking. I don't think the cartridge type forks feel as good as the non's, hence why so many do the conversion to eliminate the cartridge in the left fork. Just my opinion tho':s

I to am thinking fork oil or different rear shocks. What type of tires are on the two bikes and what air pressure are you running? Does the ultra have lowered suspension? So many things go into the "feel" of a bike that just looking at one thing will not tell you why somethings feels different. I doubt the mag wheels are causing a different feel.

Back