free website stats program Wheel Swap | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Swap

FXDL4ME

Will a front wheel and discs from a 2012 FLHRX fit on a 2007 Street Glide? Is it a straight swap?

https://sandusky.craigslist.org/mpo/d/touring-wheel-tire/6229956006.html

00d0d_gb3kzn2pDdT_1200x900.jpg

I would think not a straight swap. The '12 has a 18" rim and the '07 has a 16" from what I can see.It is possible though, look at these 23+" tires on dresser now.
tourbox

Should be a straight swap. Running an 18"x3.5" Airstrike from a '10 FLHX on the front of my '02 FLHT. It has been a while but IIRC, I did have to change wheel bearings to the non ABS bearing and might have had to trim the right side outer spacer to get dead nuts on alignment of rotor to caliper. '12 to '07 should be a straight swap; worst case would be a easy swap. Might have to change rotors as '12 had Brembos but don't think '07 does; I also replace the front fender for a better look; not sure if I had to replace the fender because of the taller wheel. The axle torqueing procedure is different from '02 to '10 but probably the same '07 to '12 but worth checking because it does make a difference where the wheel ends up between the forks.20141130_163158_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Diameter wise...this seems to confuse a lot of people. Going from a 16" to 18" (and up to 21" max) still fits under the original fender...I'm running a 21" with zero fender modifications...as the diameter of the rim get larger, the side profile of the tire gets smaller. Stand them side by side and their overall heights are the same give or take an 1/8th or 1/4". My 21 only has about a 2" tire sidewall whereas the original 16" had a sidewall of about 4-5"....low profile tires have a harsher ride inherently.

As for the newer rims, as others have mentioned you may need bearings if you're going from a 3/4" axle to the newer 25mm used on the newer models. Can't recall exactly what year they went to different bearing/axle sizes but that's the easiest part swapping bearing to match your axle diameter. Spacing is something that then needs to be addressed.......nothing mentioned is difficult by any means. If I were going to newer wheels that had Brembo style discs on an older pre 07 bike, I would just make the swap to the newer calipers instead of swapping discs. The better design of the new multi piston Brembos although a bit pricey is worth it in my opinion. Look for used ones on eBay or from a motorcycle salvage yard. They're out there and bolt right up to older forks like my 03.

Changing to the Brembo calipers is a good idea but I would suggest that the change be complete and the master cylinder should be changed as well; different bore size IIRC. The brakes will work with the early M/C but will be blocky and not modulate as well as they should, so for best results, change to the '08 up M/C should the OP decide to go that route.

Don't believe there is a brake fluid issue as DOT 4 is specified for '05 and up touring models. However, if buying used calipers, it is possible that DOT 5 has been run through them; not likely but possible if the parts come off a conversion that was done to a pre '05 model or off a pre '06 Dyna or Softail.

I would beg to differ with Slo-Ryd on his comment regarding overall heights post change. While it is true that one can try to maintain stock height changing from a 16" OEM to an 18" wheel/tire assembly the possibility is limited by the tires available. In my case, changing from a 16" OEM Wagonwheel with the Dunlop 402 front tire to the 18" Airstrike wheel with an Avon72 150/70 tire, the wheel/tire assembly height increased nearly an inch; from 25.3" to 26.2". I also mounted an 18" Airstrike to the rear with an Avon, may have been a Cobra, can't remember, so the bike is about an 1" taller overall and definitely handles better.

I would beg to differ with Slo-Ryd on his comment regarding overall heights post change. While it is true that one can try to maintain stock height changing from a 16" OEM to an 18" wheel/tire assembly the possibility is limited by the tires available. In my case, changing from a 16" OEM Wagonwheel with the Dunlop 402 front tire to the 18" Airstrike wheel with an Avon72 150/70 tire, the wheel/tire assembly height increased nearly an inch; from 25.3" to 26.2". I also mounted an 18" Airstrike to the rear with an Avon, may have been a Cobra, can't remember, so the bike is about an 1" taller overall and definitely handles better.

I agree, different manufacturer tire series will have different sidewall profiles and overall diameters. The better point I was trying to make is they'll all still fit comfortably under the same stock fender. And don't forget, your increase from 25.3" for a 130/90 to 26.2" for the 150/70 translates into only half the distance of .45 or half inch or so from the center of the axle to the ground or under the fender.....hardly noticeable in my opinion. There's quite a bit of room between the tire and inside of the fender in stock form. Common in the automotive world tire industry and the call it +1, +2 etc when going to larger custom rims...bigger rims, lower profile tires to get them to still fit in the wheel wells. ;)

Don't disagree and the 1" was a typo; typing faster than I processing; 1/2" total height increase is correct. I couldn't remember why I replaced the front fender but was pretty sure it was because I wanted to get rid of the ugly stock fender and not to address a clearance issue.;)

I don't know if the 1/2" additional height has contributed to the improved handling; could be the tires.:confused: I do know the bike holds a line in a long sweeper at speed better than it did before the swap.:cool:

I still want to swap mine for an Arlen Ness 21" wrapper to open up the "view" of the rim more....just think they're just a tad overpriced @ $375..it is however made of carbon fiber composite so I'm sure that attributes to their hefty price and 10 more horsepower :eek:

Back