free website stats program Wheel shimmy | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel shimmy

Tileman

just bought a 2006 FXDI 35th anniversary and the front wheel has a slight shimmy/ wiggle to it, what can be the fix

just bought a 2006 FXDI 35th anniversary and the front wheel has a slight shimmy/ wiggle to it, what can be the fix
You don't mention how many miles on her, could be the wheel bearings.
No mention if the wheel is laced spokes, if it is, could need the spokes trued-up.
Or, could be a bent rim, or simply needs balanced. Personally, I use "Dyna-Beads" for balancing my wheels, 1.5 oz. for front tire and 2.0 oz. for my rear tire.

All possible causes above listed by NCBILL. Is the shimmy there at all speeds or just at certain mph. If at all speeds look at balance, bent rim, if laced wheel truing up spokes, or wheel bearing.
Also look at the steering neck, could need adjustment or just low on grease usually problems here will manifest itself as a wobble when slowing down, with a very light pressure on the bars you can feel this.

Wobbles at all speeds. Just turned 20K, spokes, neck bearing so dealer says was replaced, has balancing weights on wheel, the tire on the front is a tubeless , didn't know you can run tubeless tire on spokes

First thing I would do is check the air presure.
From exp low air will cause wobble and vibration.
Than ride it and see how it is.
If it is still doing it follow the recomendations from above.

Had to put a good ten psi......huh dealer said they filed the both tires with nitrogen before I took her! Can't trust anyone....DTA. That's a NY saying. Gonna take her for a ride little latter and let all know if that's is or was the problem

Yep! Calls for 41, had 27. That straightened it out

Last edited by a moderator:
Great!!! Glad it was that easy to deal with. I always believe that starting with the simplest and cheapest fix first is the best approach!!

Cheers,

TQ

Back