free website stats program Wheel off center, tire rubbed. 180mm deuce | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel off center, tire rubbed. 180mm deuce

if the wheel fits ok in the swing arm with all the spacers in place it must be the wheel that is off centre to the spacers

Brian

Guess I will calling hog pro again. Always something. Thought I was finally done with this wheel change when I got to ride it home yesterday. Guess not. If the dealer was supposed to check alignment, shouldn't they have seen it was off center?? Oh by the way, when I got home the jam nut for the belt tensioners were not even tight.
WAP.gif

Your brake caliper sits on a weldment inside the swingarm, can you tell if it is fully seated to the right or is there some space for it to move right?

I checked the caliper and it definitely does not look like it is seated all the way over. I'm gonna call the Harley dealer tomorrow. When I sit on the bike it rubs the inner fender strut. That should have never made it past a professional mechanic. Wonder If the rotor is not spaced out or in right?
WAP.gif

If you have room to move the caliper to the right and the wheel is to far left than it sounds like you need a shorter spacer on the right and a corresponding longer spacer on the left. When you view the tire from the rear of the bike how far off does it look just from your eye?

If you have room to move the caliper to the right and the wheel is to far left than it sounds like you need a shorter spacer on the right and a corresponding longer spacer on the left. When you view the tire from the rear of the bike how far off does it look just from your eye?

The thing is, the cAliper is over as far as it will go on the axle, just not on the place it sits on the frame. And the spacer on the right can't change cause it is between caliper and rotor. When viewing from the rear is def looks slightly left comparing tire to license plate. When I look up under there is plenty of room on the right side between tire and fender and on the left when I sit on it the tire hits the inside fender. Wifey looked up under to confirm. Unfortunately she wasn't heavy enough to make the bike go down far enough for me to look with weight on it.
WAP.gif

Boy I am at a lose here. I just went down to the shop and looked at my '94 manual and unless they have really changed the setup the right spacer actually goes thru the disc and contacts the right bearing on the other side it contacts the caliper arm, both the caliper body (where the axel goes thru) and the spacer determine how far the wheel can go to the right. Since you have plenty of room for the tire to move to the right it's looking to me like the wheel is offset or machined incorrectly. I'm hoping one of the moderators or Glider will take a look at this thread and come up with a solution or at least an explanation.

Boy I am at a lose here. I just went down to the shop and looked at my '94 manual and unless they have really changed the setup the right spacer actually goes thru the disc and contacts the right bearing on the other side it contacts the caliper arm, both the caliper body (where the axel goes thru) and the spacer determine how far the wheel can go to the right. Since you have plenty of room for the tire to move to the right it's looking to me like the wheel is offset or machined incorrectly. I'm hoping one of the moderators or Glider will take a look at this thread and come up with a solution or at least an explanation.

Thats how mine is set up on the 07..
I have heard of people machining a slight bit off their outside of the caliper arm to let everything move over. But this suggestion was from hogpro to get pulley/swingarm clearance, nothing was mentioned for centering the wheel. I wonder if i might need to do this to get my tire centered? I will make some phone calls tomorrow and update you. Thanks for all your suggestions!

I really feel like I'm missing something. Sorry I couldn't help, please keep us updated and good luck.

Well I think it's the renegade wheel that is slightly not offset to the right.I have heard most custom wheels for deuces are. Probably needto shave the caliper slightly to make the wheel go right and add that space to the left. Unless the dealer can work some magic, pretty sure that's what is gonna need done. What a nightmare. Hopefully the dealer doesn't disagree with doing that.
WAP.gif

Back