free website stats program Wheel off center, tire rubbed. 180mm deuce | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel off center, tire rubbed. 180mm deuce

Jdsmitty10

Can anyone help me out here. Installed my own renegade wheels which were supposed to be bolt on. Had the dealer check it over for belt tension and alignment. Rode it home and found rubber shavings on the wheel. Left side of tire rubbed inner fender. Looked from the rear and found that it's slightly off center to the left. What's up with this? I used the same spacers as before. Having a heck of a time with this new wheel set. Ready to ship entire set back. I see tons of 180 mm deuces on the forums and even see 200mm deuces. Not sure why mine would be a problem. Suggestions?
WAP.gif

Can anyone help me out here. Installed my own renegade wheels which were supposed to be bolt on. Had the dealer check it over for belt tension and alignment. Rode it home and found rubber shavings on the wheel. Left side of tire rubbed inner fender. Looked from the rear and found that it's slightly off center to the left. What's up with this? I used the same spacers as before. Having a heck of a time with this new wheel set. Ready to ship entire set back. I see tons of 180 mm deuces on the forums and even see 200mm deuces. Not sure why mine would be a problem. Suggestions?
WAP.gif

Don't know anything about the Renegade wheel but it sounds like you need different spacers than the stock ones. Does your caliper and disk line up on the other side?

Ya. The caliper is on the outer side of spacer. Same spacer between caliper and hub. It would have to be the same to keep te caliper/ rotor space te same. Left side is the hub, pulley spacer, stock axle spacer.
WAP.gif

Your brake caliper sits on a weldment inside the swingarm, can you tell if it is fully seated to the right or is there some space for it to move right?

If I'm not mistake that is a sealed roller bearing (all contained). If you didn't have to pry the swing arm open to get the left spacer in I don't think that is a problem. On my '94 FLSTC there is a long spacer on the left and a shorter spacer on the right. Are both of the spacers the same length on yours?

Long spacer on the left. Short one on the right. I will have to take a look to see if the caliper can go right at all. And no I did not have to pry the swing arm to get the spacer in.
WAP.gif

I assume your wheel came preassembled. Did you make sure the wheel rotation is correct? There is an arrow on the sidewall to show proper rotation. I'm not questioning your ability, I'm just running out of things to try.

Have you compared the dimensions of old wheel with the new one for example distance between the centre line of the wheel and the brake rotor and also the depth of the wheel bearings in the wheel
im not up on the latest bikes but having just replaced the wheel bearings on my softail the bearing on the pulley side sat 1/2 deeper in the wheel than the other
so if the rotor and the pulley were on the wrong sides it would move the wheel over by 1/2 inch using the same spacers
just thoughts on personal observations

Brian

Sold the old wheel already. I'm wondering if it might be the caliper not over far enough. I will look at that today when I get a minute. chasing my kiddos around right now
WAP.gif

Back