free website stats program Wheel bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearings

tom3fan4ever

Is is possible to replace the Timken bearings and seals on my '99' FLHT with sealed bearings. If so, what is involved in doing this?

Is is possible to replace the Timken bearings and seals on my '99' FLHT with sealed bearings. If so, what is involved in doing this?

In my opinion that would be a big mistake to make. I have sealed bearings and wished I could go the opposite way. The sealed bearings of today was a way to cut costs and is an inferior method compared to the taper roller.

In my opinion that would be a big mistake to make. I have sealed bearings and wished I could go the opposite way. The sealed bearings of today was a way to cut costs and is an inferior method compared to the taper roller.

Agree 110%. Cars have Timken bearings and they last forever. My old BMW has Timken's and they are still the original at 135,000 miles. I can't think of one advantage ball bearings have over Timken's for wheel bearing application. They do need preload to function properly but they are superior.

Yes and no, it can be done if you can figure out the correct spacing, there are bearings out there that will work but it is a roll of the dice IMo, The tapered bearings are a better set up, The MOCO uses them now because it is cheaper and faster Not necessarily better

Stay with the tapered bearings they are a far better solution for a motorcycle than the sealed bearings once properly set up repack with grease every 10000 miles
The grease protects the bearings from the ingress of dirt and water

Brian

Back