free website stats program Wheel Bearings ? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings ?

Front wheel bearings on my 09 touring bike failed at 24,000 miles. They replaced them with the exact same thing they took out. Service manager said they replace "a lot" of front wheel bearings on 2009 bikes. He thought they were Korean bearings but was not positive.

It appears to me after reading here and experience that it's the front bearings that fail first, which is good (got to stay positive) they are the easiest to check. Maybe they catch more more water and abuse... Just a thought.

It appears to me after reading here and experience that it's the front bearings that fail first, which is good (got to stay positive) they are the easiest to check. Maybe they catch more more water and abuse... Just a thought.

That would make a lot of sense since they are more exposed but IMO the MOCO should have done more research on this. Bearings going bad prematurely is no excuse and dangerous

Noob question: other than visual inpection, how can one tell when a bearing is starting to go bad??

Excessive play or a growling or rumbling when the bearing is turned. If you do it by hand, you will feel a roughness as you turn the bearing in the race. It should be absolutely smooth if it is OK.

Excessive play or a growling or rumbling when the bearing is turned. If you do it by hand, you will feel a roughness as you turn the bearing in the race. It should be absolutely smooth if it is OK.

Look for tell tale signs of rust also sealed bearings indeed:s

Back