free website stats program Wheel bearings | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearings

Redfish-Joe

I replaced my front tire yesterday and found both wheel bearings going bad after only 22k.

If you have your wheels off take a few seconds and inspect your bearings. Place your finger on the inner race and turn slowly. They should turn absolutely smooth. If you feel the slightest roughness in them they need to be replaced.

Got an appt. Wednesday in Slidell to have them changed. Bike is still under warranty.

Great Point Red-fish, always good to check things while apart... believe me: "It's the little things that can cause a problem"... Little things can become "Big Things" if you let them.

I replaced my front tire yesterday and found both wheel bearings going bad after only 22k.

If you have your wheels off take a few seconds and inspect your bearings. Place your finger on the inner race and turn slowly. They should turn absolutely smooth. If you feel the slightest roughness in them they need to be replaced.

Got an appt. Wednesday in Slidell to have them changed. Bike is still under warranty.

I would like to know the year model of your bike and especially the brand/type, of bearing, sealed/not sealed, that is being removed. My "03" has Timken bearings, sealed and are an automotive spec bearing. Just wondering if HD has changed manufacturers for them over the years. 2000-2010.

Wheel bearings also need to be checked for side-to-side play/movement. For my '08, the manual allows 0.002". Beyond that, they should be replaced. So be sure to check this as well as smooth running.

I would like to know the year model of your bike and especially the brand/type, of bearing, sealed/not sealed, that is being removed. My "03" has Timken bearings, sealed and are an automotive spec bearing. Just wondering if HD has changed manufacturers for them over the years. 2000-2010.

O8 Road Glide with stock (standard oem) sealed bearings. Didn't look at the brand when I had it down.

Back