Wheel bearings question.

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by diver4life, May 8, 2011.

1. diver4life

diver4life Active Member

I'm taking my rims to powder coating and I have to take off the wheel bearings, do I have to replace them with new ones or I can reuse them? My bike just have 4,000 miles. Also the the price at the HD dealers are around $21.00 each and I found them for around $23.00 for a set of two on ebay. Are there's any difference in quality between the originals HD and the generic ones from ebay?

Thanks.

2. TripleJ

TripleJ Senior Member

Even with the low miles I would recommend replacing them if you have to remove them. No telling what damage may result from removing them and it could be difficult to determine.

Can't say for the ebay generics. Do they list a brand and part #s for them?

3. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I would not reuse wheel bearings once removed replace with new bearings some other members may have an idea as to what may be a better bearing as from what i have seen on the forum the stock ones can fail early in life

Brian

4. diver4life

diver4life Active Member

Well that means that I will replace them, now my concern is which ones I should buy. The ones I saw on ebay are from Drag specialty.

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Good idea. Everybody gave you good advice
    Ken

6. diver4life

diver4life Active Member

Thanks for the help guys!

7. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

You could also see if you have an Applied Industrial dealer local in your town.
    Applied.com Industrial Supply, Industrial Bearings, Material Handling, Power Transmission, Fluid Power Products | Applied Industrial Technologies | Applied.com | Applied.com

My wife worked with these folks for 21yrs as a purchasing agent and you can walk in off the street with the old bearings in hand and they will mic them for you and give you exact replacements. They handle various brands of bearings, bushings, electric motors etc.

They've been around a long time. Their stock has always held up pretty good too. My wife got a decent retirement 401k from them. (course we pulled it out of the stocks prior to 2008 thankfully) but they are still doing good comparitively.

8. IBA Harley

IBA Harley Active Member

I will never understand when someone spends a lot of money on something like powdercoating, but then questions the extra $40 to replace the wheel bearings. Must just be my messed up way of thinking, but I don't play that way. When I replace my rear wheel... I do the brakes too... even if they're still good. When I do oil, I do all 3 holes. Just seems silly to me to pinch pennies after spending as much as we have on these machines.

9. diver4life

diver4life Active Member

You are right Mr IBA I think is your messed up way of thinking, probably you are the ones that prefer to pay the higher price for a product even when there’s one at a lower price and better quality. I'm not trying to buy the cheapest one, just don't want to pay more than I supposed to. Also that’s why I’m a member of this forum to learn from the Pros with open mind mentality. Thanks R.W.B for the info.

10. Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup Junior Member

Good luck with the powdercoating, yes always new bearings. Pics please when your finished!