free website stats program Wheel bearing help please. | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearing help please.

I have a 91 fxstc. Took the front wheel off for the first time to and wanted to check the bearings. Well the bearings look fine my only concern is all the play in them I can pull the bearing out of the race about a 1/4 to 1/2 before it gets to the oil seal and when I do that I can wiggle and turn the bearing sideways quite a bit. I have never had it apart before so don't know if its the wrong size or the oil seal is wrong just seems like a lot of play and the book don't say a whole lot about it just don't want something to happen cruising down the road please help

I have a 91 fxstc. Took the front wheel off for the first time to and wanted to check the bearings. Well the bearings look fine my only concern is all the play in them I can pull the bearing out of the race about a 1/4 to 1/2 before it gets to the oil seal and when I do that I can wiggle and turn the bearing sideways quite a bit. I have never had it apart before so don't know if its the wrong size or the oil seal is wrong just seems like a lot of play and the book don't say a whole lot about it just don't want something to happen cruising down the road please help

Did the bearing spacer get dis lodged or is it the wrong one?

Those are two piece conical bearings. They need periodic repacking with grease, and close visual inspection for pitting, etc. The seal is easily pried off with a screwdriver, and needs to be replaced. See att. pichttp://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-WHEEL-BEARINGS-BIG-TWIN-SPORTSTER-WHEEL-BEARING-Replaces-HD-9052-/261191492314?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd039e2da&vxp=mtr.

Last edited:
I think Captain Jack has got you sussed. Attached is the wheel section of the 1991-1992 Softail Repair manual. I am guessing the spacer is inside the hub somewhere.

TQ

Attachments

• Softail Wheel Section from 1991-1992 Repair Manual.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 19
Thank u for the diagram its in better detail then mine and got it all put back there was just a lot of play cause the spacer and shaft were removed its all good now

Thank u for the diagram its in better detail then mine and got it all put back there was just a lot of play cause the spacer and shaft were removed its all good now

:D Always like a happy ending

Back