free website stats program Whatta I Have To Do, Detune My Scoot? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whatta I Have To Do, Detune My Scoot?

Mat, no problem whatsoever pard. I was just venting is all. I can get ribbed as good as I can rib. I enjoy the banter and getting concerns off my chest is about all for me. If you really want to kickstart my engine, ask me about house prices. :D

BTW, I am from almost downeast originally. New Hampster actually, N. Hampton. I never let things get to me usually, it is just that I know how bad things are. I love my country, but I fear my government.
I know.............. I will get out and have a lobsta and a few Ballentines. :s

I never let things get to me usually, it is just that I know how bad things are. I love my country, but I fear my government.

Sometimes it just comes with age and all the pressures of the daily grind.....
So go out on a big ride and forgitaboutit!:rider:rider:D:D

Funny thing about that is that the Arco gas comes from the refinery right here and not 5 miles from me that also supplies Chevron, Shell, Texaco and all the independent mini marts. Same? Yup, same gas. Techrolene? Give me a break.
Allow me to step off my rickety box before I fall and hurt myself. I do feel better now, even though I will not be over this until someone regulates oil companies......................and Walmart.:newsmile106:

I cut to this part about all the stations using the same gas.. when I was in the military and stationed in San Diego I used to watch the shell, exxon, arco etc.. trucks all line up at the storage place to fill up the big gas trucks and I watched em dump a bag of what looked like powdered laundry soap in there tanks. Guessing that was a big ole bag of techron or something? lol
Brad

Just be thankful that you don't live in Canada. Regular gas (87 octane) is $1.29.9 per Liter where I live. That's $4.92 per US gallon. Something is wrong here when we have the second largest oil reserve in the world and have to pay that price. The oil companies use any excuse they can to raise prices.

Just be thankful that you don't live in Canada. Regular gas (87 octane) is $1.29.9 per Liter where I live. That's $4.92 per US gallon. Something is wrong here when we have the second largest oil reserve in the world and have to pay that price. The oil companies use any excuse they can to raise prices.

i remember a few years ago when i lived in Vernon, CTV broad cast a break down of the price, if i recall correctly about half the price in BC was taxes.
not meant to be political in any way

Last edited:
...I enjoy the banter and getting concerns off my chest is about all for me. If you really want to kickstart my engine, ask me about house prices. :D

BTW, I am from almost downeast originally. New Hampster actually, N. Hampton. I never let things get to me usually, it is just that I know how bad things are. I love my country, but I fear my government... :s

Genuine Fuel Additive Formulated with Duralt Fuel Compound
I have had good luck with this and I aint much on additives but this does work:s
Depending on how "built up" you engine is...you might be able to use medium grade or regular grade here in California. My 2004 Sporty is carbureted so it does not have an "anti-knock" sensor...so you can tell right away if you get a poor grade of gas...BUT...not promoting a brand, I used my local gas station down the block (ARCO) for convenience and check the consistency of the fuels over the years. I found that my bike runs fine with Unleaded 87 octane...only when riding two up or hard canyon carving makes my bike(s) ping. My Katana was much more sensitive to the grade of gas than the Harley, so I run 89 Mid-Grade in it when going two-up or canyon scratching. Do the same with the Harley. But if after research I found I "had" to run premium, you may not save that much buying an additive, but it is an alternative.:coffee

NewHD74Fan, howdy. You will recall I lived in your fine town for 8 years in housing on Las Posas when I was stationed at Pt. Mugu, so I am familiar with your temps in the summer. I will guess you are talking about riding out of town as well. That is the thing I have had my worst luck with over my way, the heat. Summer temps climb up there and I ride with Patriot Guard Riders often to the new National Cemetery and that includes a pull up the hill they call Tehachipi and down towards Mojave. I have pinged on premium on occasion and throttled back. My engine is not warmed up much at all for a 88. The exhaust and the High Five intake and a remap, which was a waste of money since the ECM took care of those mods itself. Then I got the Xieds and installed them and the engine runs noticeably cooler since. I just have not tried regular gas, but I am almost sure I will find the performance satisfactory. So, I will try it next fill up and check back here and let you all know how that went.
Tank, sorry if I got political. Just funnin' around a bit about gas prices and getting some ideas about what others are doing. The gas octane booster was a good tip for instance. :)

Last edited:
As Tbone has stated running regular is probably going to cost more in the long run. Detuning your bike may help but with the type of riding stated I do not think its going to help much. Gas mileage is directly related to your right wrist.. How this for gas pain: $15.80 to fill on start of 300 mile ride. Then on way home refilled tank at $23.75. OUCH
I hear ya there and if we stop along the way for some lunch our pleasure weekend rides can easily approach $50.00!

Gas prices are up in Florida also, was shocked the last time I filled up my Ultra. Can't work any harder so decided the best thing to do is divert some of my grocery money into gas money. That way I'll hopefully lose some weight which will have the added benefit of improving gas mileage as the bike won't have to work as hard to haul me around town...

Back