free website stats program Whats wrong with syn 3 ? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats wrong with syn 3 ?

The real deal is Syn 3 is not a true 100% Synthetic oil, but priced like it is. No it is not bad oil, just that there are plenty of alternatives from companies that support our U.S. heritage, not trying to tear it down. No your bike will not "self destruct" any more than using good MA rated motorcycle oils petroleum based or otherwise.

Just that the long term life and cooler running engine are known positives of 100% Synthetic oils use like Spectrol, Bel Ray, etc changes at recommended intervals. Of course this is more a leap of faith, as engine/motorcycle longevity usually is longer than actual ownership, as often a rider chooses to change his ride long before he rides "the wheels off"...JMO

defentatly wouldnt dump it,but wouldnt use it on your next change.we use lucas or amsoil in our nitro bike,if it can handle that,it can handle ANY street application

A buddy of mine runs syn 3 in his bike, He has a 1996 FLH Road King with a 4 speed transmission he wants to change to spectro would spectro 6 trans fluid still be ok for a 4 speed or does anyone reccomend something else.

1996 should be a 5 speed !

Ha ha, this thread certainly opens a can of worms er, I mean oil.....

I use Syn3 in the engine of my Electraglide and Forumula+ in the trans and primary. I am sure there are better oils out there but Harley products are available in my area and they have worked just fine for me over many miles...

Based on my experience as an automotive mechanic for many years, I would say the most important aspect of oil, regardless of what quality product you use, is to change it when required as per the manufacturers suggested interval or sooner depending on how hard you ride.

Cheapest thing you can do to keep your motorcylce running well is change the fluids and change them often. :D

Back