free website stats program Whats wrong with my bike?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats wrong with my bike??

treeguy

I have a 2003 883 sportster that has oil coming out of the carb what causes that?????

I have a 2003 883 sportster that has oil coming out of the carb what causes that?????
Please help

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't have a sportster manual but I believe that your bike vents thru the rocker box. The umbrella valves in the heat can become inoperative and need to be replaced. There will be Sporster owners who will post soon who will have some definative answers to this problem. You have come to the right place. I solved the oil spitting back thru the carb on my Evo Softail with a metel piece from kuryakan that connects the two vent holes and I added a length of 3/8" hose and dropped it down under the frame and added a filter to the end. Welcome to HDTimeline.

Don has you covered here, one question did you over fill the oil?

The evo sportster of that age has the head crankcase breather system
oil mist in the air being forced out through the breather banjo bolts into the air cleaner may condense back into oil when it hits the cold air in the air cleaner
the umbrella valves in the lower rocker cover allow excess pressure from the breather system to vent into the rocker cover but prevent oil from returning back down from the rocker area
however after some time the umbrella valves become perished and require replacing
if your piston rings are worn some cylinder pressure can bypass the piston rings and pressurise the crankcase and forcing any oil in the sump up and out the breathers
I hope this gives you a few potential answers

Brian

Thanks guys, Jack I did overfill the oil.

A very wise man(Glider) has pointed out that even tho the manual states specific a mounts of oil per oil change always remember the oil that remains in the crank case and oil galleries and figure a lesser amount when changing oil, try 1/4 to 1/2 less quarts ride til hot and recheck:s

Thanks boss its good to be back to my puter again:D

My son has learned when he changes oil in his 1998-1200 Sportster to leave it 1 pint low. After it is warmed up and rode some it will check real close to the full mark.

Back