free website stats program Whats the word on Harley's synthetic oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats the word on Harley's synthetic oil

Heck52

Hey folks, I have just gone from a 2008 XL1200c to 2010 FXDC. I have always used Harley's 20W50 motoroil in the engine and primary/trans oil in the primary/trans. I see that a lot of people are going over to the synth oil. Harley's is a all in one oil. Is it good to change to the synth oil at the 500 mile oil change? How long is everybody going between oil changes on the synth oil? Would like all the advise I can get.

Many, many better choices than HD oil, syn or otherwise. Mobil 1, Spectro, Amsoil, Redline, Revtech, and many more I've forgotten all make superior products. Many are specifically intended for air cooled V twins and 6 speed transmissions.

Spend about 5 minutes with this forum's search feature and your favorite beverage and you'll have more to read than you could have imagined!

I'll save you some time - TQ already posted the links in this thread - be sure to send him a thank you card!!!

Oil Opinions - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
This is a pretty controversial topic and I think you may receive a wide variance of opinions.

Here is mine to start. After doing an exhaustive review of this topic - i.e. synthetic oils, I settled on Redline in all three holes. Although I think the Mobil 1 and Amsoil would also be acceptable to substitutes. Actually, which ever one is easiest for you to obtain in your area would be the best choice.

I have discussed the timing with several Harley mechanics and they suggest not changing to synthetic prior to the 5,000 mile service. They claim that regular dino oil should be used until the rings seat and the engine wears in some.

Regarding the change interval, I have been advised that with either
of the three synthetics indentified above that 5000 mile intervals are sufficient under normal riding conditions. I ask about 2,500 mile intervals and was advised that I would be throwing away good oil, and that if I felt better I could change filters at 2,500 miles if so desired but they did not think that was necessary.

Like I said, you will get varied opions on this issue and it ultimately rests on your shoulders as to the decisions/choices.

Good luck and ride safe!!

Last edited:
This is a pretty controversial topic and I think you may receive a wide variance of opions.

Here is mine to start. After doing an exhaustive review of this topic - i.e. synthetic oils, I settled on Redline in all three holes. Although I think the Mobil 1 and Amsoil would also be acceptable to go too. Actually, which ever one is most easy for you to obtain in your area.

I have discussed the timing with several mechanics and they suggest not changing to synthetic prior to the 5,000 mile service. They claim that regular dino oil should be used until the rings set and the engine wears in some.

Regarding the change interval, I have been advised that with eithe of the three synthetics indentified above that 5000 mile intervals are sufficient under normal riding conditions. I ask about 2,500 mile intervals and was advised that I would be throwing away good oil, and that if I felt better I could change filters at 2,500 miles if so desired but they did not think that was necessary.

Like I said, you will get varied opions on this issue and it ultimately rests on your shoulders as to the decisions/choices.

If you do the break in recommended on this forum, the rings are set and most of the "engine wear in" is complete before you get home!

As far as the intervals, my humble opinion is that folks who spend 15 to 25 grand on a Harley with a big twin engine shouldn't be skimping on a $50 oil/filter change. Besides, it's therapeutic to head out to the garage and spend an hour or two babying your ride!

I have discussed the timing with several Harley mechanics and they suggest not changing to synthetic prior to the 5,000 mile service.
They claim that regular dino oil should be used until the rings seat and the engine wears in some.

Regarding the change interval, I have been advised that with either
of the three synthetics indentified above that 5000 mile intervals are sufficient under normal riding conditions. I ask about 2,500 mile intervals and was advised that I would be throwing away good oil, and that if I felt better I could change filters at 2,500 miles if so desired but they did not think that was necessary.

The CVO bikes (the expensive ones) come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. The engine will break in just fine with synthetic oils.

Changing the filters at 2500 miles and running the old oil through a new filter is like changing your shorts without taking a shower. Either do both or neither. The oil is what breaks down, the filter just contains the contaminents from the oil.

I have always done mine at 2500 miles, as a matter of fact, I do all three holes at 2500 because I like to waste oil and want the bike maintained as good as possible. They aren't cheap bikes and this will keep things running good. JMHO.

Changing the filters at 2500 miles and running the old oil through a new filter is like changing your shorts without taking a shower.

If I'm not gonna shower, I turn my shorts inside out, good to go!:bigsmiley22:

I have to go with everything Glider says ............but hey use the mobil 1 Vtwin and the formula + in the primary and the Spectro in the tranny and your good to go..........Hugo Chavez makes harley oil and don't get me started what he has done to Venezuela.............. And another thank you to Glider for all the hard work on this forum

Like Dr. Doolittle said there are better choices other than HD Syn3 to put in your new 2010 FXDC. And you see Glider likes to change all 3 holes at 2,500 miles. Extreme? Not really since it's his motorcycle, choice and money.

I change all 3 holes time permitting at 5,000 miles. I like Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 in the engine and primary, Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil in the tranny. After reading all the happy campers here I may start running Spectro Products specialty oil in the primary and tranny after this winter storage. We'll see.

I will say that first time I heard of Spectro Products was before I received my ordered 08 FLHR watching the fixmyhog mechanic series. If they use it I have trust in it also. Bottom line use what you feel comfortable using. But not HD Syn3 in all 3 holes.

Back