free website stats program Whats the verdict on the 09 touring front tire | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats the verdict on the 09 touring front tire

I had cupping on the front and rear tires.Changed both tires at 14000 miles to Metzlers.Same problem with Metzlers.Now at 22000 miles going to the 408 in front and 407 in the rear. I also changed wheel bearings and fork oil at 22000.

Dealer replaced the D407F on my 09 RKC at over 7000 miles, no questions asked, due to cupping. Fully covered under warranty. Replaced with the new D408F.

I have almost 15K on my '09 and I haven't noticed any cupping or unusual wear on the front or rear tire (407's). I'm taking the bike in this weekend for the 15K service and am going to ask for 408's just to be on the safe side. I hope my dealer will appease me.

So jm1957 should I assume that the meztlers wont really improve the issue.

The Metzlers had the same problem as the Dunlops. So I am thinking that it is not a tire issue. I did have to change wheel bearings this time,and I lowered the front at the same time, thats when I found the fork oil in need of changing. I have run 5 sets of the Metzlers on my 05 Road King Custom with no problems at all.

This pix is an extract from this website and is for reference purpose for this discussion only:

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/index.html

tn186s3.jpg

I will remove it if there is any problem...

Here is Dunlop' FAQ on tire cupping:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=9

Have to say, on my Sporty, I do like the Dunlop tread pattern as it performs on rain grooves...it tracks well with no wobble or vibration...the stickier Metzelers did feel a bit "vague" and wandered a bit over the same rain grooves.

Only time I saw cupping was with the old model K291 Elites back in the 80's...you would run your palm lightly along the tire center patch area and feel the cupping was almost 1/4" and the bike (it was on my friends Yamaha Maxim I 650cc bike) would "sing" and judder down the road at certain speeds badly when he rode the bike on the freeway.

Last edited:
Seems that here in Canada HD is taking a different tak than the US. I had to push to get my front replaced. Were it not for the service manager at Deeley's I would probably be having a fight with HD Canada. My 407 didn't develop the cupping until around 6500 miles but got bad really fast after that. I had to get a new rear because of a nail so I ended up with new rubber all around at 10000k under warranty. That tire/wheel coverage paid off in the first year.

Back