What's The Problem?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Smooth Air, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Smooth Air

Smooth Air Member

I'm having a problem with my '01. It doesn't have motor mounts and has very bad vibration the more throttle it's given. If on interstate at 65 and pull in clutch lever, vibration is gone. If cruising at 65, no vibration, but as soon as you hit the throttle, vibration begins. When sitting still idling, no vibration, but give it throttle and it vibrates.

It's not the tires, clutch, primary belt or chain. Don't know what else it could be. Help please..........

SmoothAir :dknow

2. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

A 01 what ???? - with no motor mounts????????

3. Beer Hound

Beer Hound Member

well that would cause it.:D

4. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------------
    Did the 01 Ever run smoothly???? vibration free,,,, OR is this a new but older bike for you?

Your avatar shows the 05 sporty R with RUBBER mounted engine and I have a 06 sporty R that is smooth also..

I owned a 95 sport, it vibrated at different RPM,s and was glad to see when they put the rubber mounts on that bike.

The 01 doesn't have rubber mounted mounts and that is one draw-back on the older sportsters...

Make sure the engine mountings are Tight... but the 01 will vibrate and shake the mirrors loose from time to time..

Nature of THAT Beast...

signed....BUBBIE

5. bobwire

bobwire Active Member

sounds like a critical speed issue(rpm) you don't notice it at slow (wheel speed) speed, when you go through it again at fast ( wheel speed) you do. all engines have um, rubber mounts soak um up................bw.............ps i hope this makes sense

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Am I missing something here, is this a custom with solid mounts?

7. Smooth Air

Smooth Air Member

It's an '01 Sportster Sport. My mistake, yes, it does have motor mounts, but not rubber mounted.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

HMMM, then it is going to shake some

9. Smooth Air

Smooth Air Member

The '01 did run smoothly, but of course it was never vibration free. I've had the bike eight months now. The vibration has just started in the last two months and has constantly gotten worse. The vibration is so bad that the gas tank cap will work it self loose and come off.

My bike, like yours, vibrated at different rpms. But there is a real difference now whenever I'm doing wot. I will check the engine mountings to make sure they're tight. Anything else you think of please let me know.

Thanks, SmoothAir

10. Smooth Air

Smooth Air Member

Bobwire,

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're saying. I can slowly turn the throttle up while in neutral, and it will vibrate badly. If there's anything you can think of that will help, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Smooth Air