free website stats program what's the coldest weather you ride in | Harley Davidson Forums

what's the coldest weather you ride in

gig joe

hey guy's today it was 28 degrees here on long island, I took my bike out for an hour , softail no wind shield. I used boot's, pants, t-shirt, long john top, and a flees , covered with a pair of carhartt coverall's, and no need to say a full face, any way now I know I need heated gloves and i'll be fine, the coverall's are the deal , so you don't have to wear so many layers of clothes and feel all stiff. I just wish I could find a good snow suit but there like $500 , so the carharrts are going to have to do. so let me know how you guy's do it.

For me its all about leather. Leather really blocks the wind and not to mention the road rash fighting qualities. Still, toes and fingers are still the first thing that goes for me. Fortunately, I dont do a lot of cold riding.....Its 64 here this morning and supposed to get up to 72!

Same as you. 28 degrees at 1000 in the morning heading home 8-9 hour ride. Brrr! Made it halfway before calling it quits for the day.
Since then I found out that leather covered with foul weather suit really works well, I do have heated gloves, they are a must. Also the warm pouches in the front and back pockets really keep you warm, sometimes they get down right hot!
I don't really like riding unless it's about 60!

Heated liners are the way to go. Leather like Bodeen stated is a must. Heated gloves for the hands, I wear steel toed red wings with added lowers on the softail and of course the ultra limited has lower fairings so the feet are good. I can ride in below freezing weather with my liners, blue jeans, chaps, long sleeve shirt and my leather jacket. The face is another story. Half helmet, baclava, fleece neck gater or a full face helmet.

Break out the snowmobile gear. Not the best protection for the road but, keeps me warm. I'll ride as long as the road is bare and snow isn't blocking the bike in.

When They salt the streets,I am done for the year.Think about riding again in March or April.

I put hand warmers were ever else I get cold, take it out of the bag and 127 degrees it go's up to, they don't you this but if I use the warmer for 1 hour It's just a waste so I take the warmer and put it in a zip lock bag , make sure all the air is out of the zip lock and the warmer gets cold again , when your ready you take it out and it heats up again, a $1 hand warmer can last all month. I like to wrap them in a hanky and put one or two inside my neck warmer, once my neck get's cold it's game over.

when I was young I rode my bike in all weathers as it was my only form of transport
200 + miles following the track in the snow made by a truck is no fun thermal long under ware leathers then waterproofs on top silk lining gloves leather on top but the cold still bites to the bone then 2 weeks later return same journey back to barracks after Christmas break to find that the severe cold had bust most of the pipes in the barracks got told to o home again and come back in a week I had been off the bike a few times that journey I had sufficient spare parts to keep the bike going as the plug cap and plug got destroyed every time I went down (Motto Guzzi)
In more recent years wife and I went away for a weekend into the highlands snow had melted back to 6" from the road on return heavy snow fall had us following the tracks made by trucks that made it through more modern gear and a good fairing and the built in feet heaters on the BMW R100RT made it fairly comfortable
The Harleys stay in the shed at the first sign of salt
In 2015 at end April had 2 bikes booked for MOT 50 mile round trip for each inspection temp 4 centigrade latest gear kept me comfortable for that 2 trips everything is lined with gortex and then thermal quilting Hein Gericke made some very good gear at the time I bought mine

Brian

Back