free website stats program Whats in your toolkit? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats in your toolkit?

Brian brings up a great point. I think my tool kit has been used to help someone else alot more times than I've needed it. That's what its all about in the end......

Last couple times was for a member here...........................:shock

Thanks for the awesome ideas guys, I got a little put off by a PM/warning from a mod for something I didn't care about my kids saying and wasn't going to come back but these are great ideas and I really appreciate all of them.

About carrying tools to help others, yeah, I am used to that for sure. I used to follow the Grateful Dead around the country in a micro-bus with an extra engine and tranny on top of my Westfalia and all of my tools inside. I never had to use it myself but I ended up pulling over to help other Dead Heads on more than a few occasions and even loaned one dude my spare rebuilt engine till we got to the next show where I was able to repair his and swap them out before the show. In between tours I rebuilt my engines and tie-dyed some product to make it through the next season.

Good lookin out, bro. I try to help anyone I can at every given opportunity. In the late 70's I pulled over to help a guy in a broke down Rolls and gave him a ride to the closest garage then to a hotel so he could arrange his situation. He climbed in the back of the bus with a group of patchoulli stinkin chicks (I probably cannot write the other smells that were in that bus here) ended up coming to the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall in Kansas City with us for the show. He had such a good time he got us a couple of hotel rooms for some much needed showers before we headed out to Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis if I remember correctly.

I see that a lot of you guys put your buck knives in your toolkits. I always have mine on my side and I've never been menaced or harassed...but it probably isn't a bad idea to carry an extra. I guess now-a-days it isn't unheard of for the heat to give people flak for it in some places either.

As a matter of course I change my spark plugs annually and the known working set that came out go in the tool bag
I have been riding bikes for a long time and perhaps I am guided by previous experience however modern bikes seem to be much more reliable than the old British twins but I still like to have my own tools and spares just in case
I do not have any torx fasteners on my evo bikes but was unable to help a rider one time who needed a t 27 so I added a set next time I was tool shopping

Brian

My Pan and Shovels always had new and 'last used' plugs in my toolkit. Not a bad idea at all to maintain that practice. Thanks for the reminder.

Look at the picture in this link. These take up the space in between the ridges in the bottom of your saddlebags. They hold a surprising amount of stuff. I carry the Harley tool kit (the old one that had real wrenches), a cheap VOM, flashlight, spark plugs, headlight bulb, some misc. fasteners, tie wraps, power acc. cord for charging phone etc. There's probably more but that all I can think of now.

Innovative Storage Solutions, Harley Davidson Luggage, Motorcycle Luggage, Saddlebag Liner, Motorcycle Tool Kit, Motorcycle Luggage, Harley Davidson Saddle Bag, motorcycle,pouches,bagger,saddlebag,tour pack,touring,tool kit,luggage

Bodeen, that helps a lot. No kidding, I'll check them out. $60 is less than a fillup and a bucket of oysters! I can pop that out of my wallet without worrying the honey or breaking the bank. Do you have any rattle problems?

Bodeen, that helps a lot. No kidding, I'll check them out. $60 is less than a fillup and a bucket of oysters! I can pop that out of my wallet without worrying the honey or breaking the bank. Do you have any rattle problems?

Yes, originally it rattled more than I liked so I took the wrenches and rattle stuff out and electrical taped them together. This way you have a little electrical tape on hand too.:s If I have to use the taped stuff, I just tape it up again later....

I'm curious what tools y'all carry and how you organize your tools for cross country rides. I'll be doing a ride from Central Florida to New Mexico, up to Seattle, over to Sturgis and back to FLA this year and would like to get some ideas/input. The standards are a given, so extra special items that you have found convenient and your storage/organization is my main question.

I'll be on an 05 FLHTpi

Thanks for any input!
I got this one. I also added a few things to it as well. I have never used it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Zone-Win...id=1459199988&sr=8-2&keywords=harley+tool+kit

My tool kit consists of a cell phone and credit card. Cause I do not think of any type of break down that I could repair on road. In 30 years riding I had a bike towed twice. Once my doing and the other the oil pump failed. Harley sells toolkits and I believe that they come standard on the CVO bikes which might work for you. Otherwise a couple screw drivers both Phillips and straight and a couple extra fuses and a Metric-SAE
adjustable wrench....

Back