free website stats program What's in your tool bag? | Harley Davidson Forums

What's in your tool bag?

csmlopez

Ladies and Gents. As I approach my retirement (6 June 08) after 32 years and seven months of active duty Army. I see the open road calling me and teasing me with fun stories and tales of the past.

I will be on vacation from September until 1 February and plan to ride my RK as far as the edge of the world and back. I am an experienced rider (since I was 14) and own two bikes, one 05 Honda VTX maintenance free other than plugs, oil and filters and the 07 Road King. I plan on selling the Honda and keeping the RK.

My question to you is; What is in your tool kit? I am talking about what do you need or recommend based on experience during your long trips. What do you carry in your tool kit?

Please be specific. I.E. 1X 1/2 open end wrench, 1X 5/8 open wrench, duck tape, assorted L wrenches, needle nose pliers, screw drivers, spark plugs and wrench, oil, light bulbs, wire,small air pump and tire plugs ......

Do you keep your tools in the saddle or attach them to the frame?? WHat location on the RK?

Thanks in advance and be safe.

Big Lou

Last edited:
I made up two small kits in zippered soft pouches containing needle nose vise grip,
1/4" drive ratchet with short extension
3/8 thru 9/16 socket with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter
short 3/8 drive pull handle
comb wrenches 3/8 thru 9/16
6" cresent
short combo screwdriver
allen and torx bits to fit the screwdriver and socket
small tube blue lock tite
pocket knife and a few ty-wraps

I reconnected the passenger "strap" that was bolted onto the saddle bag mounting points, to the botton of the seat and installed a seat quick release kit.

The strap is weaker now, but on a road king, the passenger can't use it while sitting anyway.

That allows me to tuck the two small pouches inside the compartment forward of the battery, and allows easy removal of the seat if the tools are needed.

Generally, bolts / screws that could not be operted by this kit were changed, other than the major ones of course.

As far as tire repairs, my Road King is a "Classic" with laced wheels / tubes, so any self repair there on the road is sensless.

Also, I keep my HOG and road service cards, cell phone, etc in my pocket.

and a few plastic cable ties....

23373333.jpg

I made up two small kits in zippered soft pouches containing needle nose vise grip,
1/4" drive ratchet with short extension
3/8 thru 9/16 socket with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter
short 3/8 drive pull handle
comb wrenches 3/8 thru 9/16
6" cresent
short combo screwdriver
allen and torx bits to fit the screwdriver and socket
small tube blue lock tite
pocket knife and a few ty-wraps

I reconnected the passenger "strap" that was bolted onto the saddle bag mounting points, to the botton of the seat and installed a seat quick release kit.

The strap is weaker now, but on a road king, the passenger can't use it while sitting anyway.

That allows me to tuck the two small pouches inside the compartment forward of the battery, and allows easy removal of the seat if the tools are needed.

Generally, bolts / screws that could not be operted by this kit were changed, other than the major ones of course.

As far as tire repairs, my Road King is a "Classic" with laced wheels / tubes, so any self repair there on the road is sensless.

Also, I keep my HOG and road service cards, cell phone, etc in my pocket.

Super, I did not think about the lock tight. I like the idea torx bits for the socket set. Some time we cross load and take aditional oil too when runing in a bunch and minimized duplication.

Yeah, ZIP ties, PDA (e-mail daughters), cigars, water, but I do carry a black hawk pack with ponch and two poncho liners, airborne stove to make coffe in the morning, a most!

Thanks brother.
Big Lou

David

Good link, I like the idea of the 12 volt test light. Neverheard of theis one. Emergency repair barrel for the clutch cable(has 2 screws that clamp the cable for a temp repair).

thank all around
be safe
Big Lou

I'm not sure about the repair barrel either. I bet Glider can help out with this one.

Back