free website stats program Whatcha think? | Harley Davidson Forums

Whatcha think?

Looks like a good deal to me, but I live in Canada and most deals in the U.S. are good deals to us.

Bike is pretty much stock except for the Vance and Hines exhaust- big radius, S & S IST system and air tail shocks. Looking for usable power, not into going 200 miles per hour!! LOL!!!

Well I'm pretty sure I want to do some engine work and get rid od the chain tensioner. What do you guys think of this set up on ebay and what cam should I get? COMPLETE ANDREWS GEAR DRIVE TWIN CAM KIT HARLEY FEULING

It is a good deal but, do you know what your crank run out is? It has to be .003 or less to run gear drive cams. I am assuming that your bike is the 2002 softail. If that is the case you will have a forged crank and your chances are better to be able to run gear drive cams.

I went with gear drive cams on my 03 fatboy but my crank run out was .002. I went with the Andrews 21G cams. I also used the stock cam plate and oil pump, SE Quick Install Tapered adjustable push rods to do the job. I have been happy with the results. I like the 21G cam. I have more power and torque across the board. Its not rip your arms off power but I can easily run a gear higher than I used too. Passing is a breeze.I just leave it in 5th and twist the throttle and away I go.

A better choice might be to go with a conversion cam kit like the one Herko sells. It includes the new oil pump,cam plate and hydraulic tensioners found on the 07 and up big twins. I believe it would cost you less money to go this route. Once again I would recommend the 21 cams. If you like to rev your bike up a little more than go with the 26 cams as it will move the power over about 500 rpm.

Randall

I like the Feuling Kit parts.. That LOOKs to be a complete set of all the needed things and GOOD quality parts....

I did Gear drives on a 2000FXDS way back when? and I liked my results.. The cam-plate,oil-pump,lifters, from Feuling are the BEST IMO..

IF you are only looking to CAM and get the shoes out of your bike.. and not make it a BIG hot rod, I would ONLY go with the HD or Herko KIT and convert to the hydraulic system..

Conversion KIT from HD 429$ or 450$ or so from Herko
(gives more needed parts).
PLUS Your cams "0" $$ or New cams 250$... Converting to Hydraulics much less in cost..

Lets see??? $$$$$$

parts Not in HD kit.. that are in the Feuling kit..
HD KIT= 429.$

Cams 250$
gasket and 2 cage bearings 15$
New lifters 140$
push-rods(SE adjustable) 140$

I think that is about it......

950/1000 aprox $$'s for all the parts to compare to the Very nice but Higher cost Feuling parts to go Gear drive. 1500$$ .....so for about 500$$ Less...

If more money, not a problem and the Gear drive is what you want,,,, the Feuling KIT is Great..

BOTH WAYS are a Good way to go..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the feed back so far. I know that the moco has a kit which is alot less money,but I'm not convinced that the new tensioner is going to be much better than the old set up. The way I see it, it's still going to wear away and might chip. I want the gear drive for piece of mind reasons, the evo's had it, sportster have it, shovels had it too, in fact didn't they all have it and the twin cam is the oddball? I like the fact that the kit gives one the best of the best, just want more feed back on this and which cams should I get? Leaning towards the 26 but have heard the 37s are also a great cam so that if I decide to bump up from 88, I'll be all set. Keep it coming guys, it is alot of cash for me just want to be sure.:newsmile042:

Well people I ended up getting the kit!! I've started assembling the gears to the cams, and the cams to the plate using the oven freezer method. I have one question, on the front cam am I supposed to put the washer from the set up on the bike or just put the snap ring on with no washer/ spacer? Taking my time with this 'cause it's been a long winter full of unreal amounts of snow here in Ct. and I know once I'm done I'm gonna wanna go for a rip!!!!!:D

These are the instructions I used when I did mine.

Oops, I posted the wrong instructions.

I'm sorry I don't have the time to read them and tell you the answer. I do know that if you follow them you won't have any problems . I have about 10,000 miles on mine know.

HTH,
Randall

==========================================================

Oops, I posted the wrong link. Here is the correct one.

View attachment Installation Instructions for Gear Drive Cams for H-D Twin Cam Engines-432-270.pdf
http://www.jpcycles.com/instructions/new/432-270.pdf
No spacer is needed. Just make sure you use a new retaining ring.
Per page 5 of said instructions.

3. Apply assembly lube to outer bearing surface of front
(shorter) camshaft and inner race of front bearing.
Support bearing by inner race and press camshaft all
the way into bearing. Install retaining ring on outer end
of front camshaft.
NOTE - Do not reuse retaining ring. If S&S Camshaft Installation
Kit #33-5163 is not being used, a new retaining ring be obtained
from another source and installed with new camshaft.

Sorry for the confusion,
Randall

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All seems good bike sounds great!!!!:rider Took it around the block a couple of times today to check things out, then let it just run while I cleaned up garage. No leaks or strange noise.:newsmile01::small3d026: I do have one thing that is renting space in my head right now. They say hind sight is 20\20 and now I'm a little worried cause I didn't lube up the outer gears on the S & S gear drive. Is it possible that with all the oil and grease that I put on the oil pump, cams and lifters will fly all over and get those two outer gears?:eam

Finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All seems good bike sounds great!!!!:rider Took it around the block a couple of times today to check things out, then let it just run while I cleaned up garage. No leaks or strange noise.:newsmile01::small3d026: I do have one thing that is renting space in my head right now. They say hind sight is 20\20 and now I'm a little worried cause I didn't lube up the outer gears on the S & S gear drive. Is it possible that with all the oil and grease that I put on the oil pump, cams and lifters will fly all over and get those two outer gears?:eam

I wouldn't worry about it. It is now lubed after running.
Which cam did you choose?

Back