free website stats program what ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

what ???

tinpanalley

2003 1200 Sportster
Trickle charge all winter. Three weeks ago started right up. Today 3 weeks later try to start bike all I get is a clicking sound. Charged battery for two hours--charger says battery full, but still just clicking when trying to turn it over?????????????????

I think I would start with cleaning the battery terminals and then get the battery tested. Even though it shows a full charge you may have a bad battery. Good luck!

Perhaps the battery needs to be load tested to see if it can deliver the required amps for starting the bike
If the Battery is 3 years or older it may be time for replacement
once you have the bike started check the voltage across the battery terminals at 2000 rpm should be no more than 14.7 volts and should be above 14 volts if this is not the case further testing of the charging system will be required
I recently had my battery test good on my optimate but could not deliver sufficient amps to start the bike it had 12.7 volts but when i pressed the start button voltage dropped to 8
Got bike started tested charging system found 17.7 volts at battery so the battery had been cooked new regulator and battery and sorted

Brian

As Brian said, load test the battery, A charger will not tell you this. After sitting for a couple of hours a fully charged battery should read 12.7 volts

Back