free website stats program What year was Heat Mode? | Harley Davidson Forums

What year was Heat Mode?

R_W_B

What year did H.D. implement the Heat Mode where the rear cylinder basically shuts down and pumps air ?

Is it in both the A and B type engines ?

07 it had to be set by dealer to turn on or off
08 the rider could do from then on.

Well that is interesting. Wonder if they had a default setting from factory?
I was not aware it could be turned off. I thought you either had it or you didn't.

I have a Lenale Fan and Oil cooler now so I don't think it will be an issue. But once last summer when it was very hot at a 3 minute red lite, my engine sounded like it started running off one cylinder. Might just be my imagination since my brain inside my helmet was definitely overheating as were my thighs.

This was the deal on 07's it did not come turned on. If you wanted it on dealer would do it free if you did not like it they would turn it off. After that you had to pay. ... ...
... .... ......
Some have had this happen and though something was wrong with the bike. There is nothing wrong.
"they all do it" Cheap shot I had to say it but the newer bikes do.
Once you move the throttle it goes back to normal you ride off and everything in fine.
When the bike is in this mode with idle at 950 and a bit rich it may even feel like it running rough, it is. The TC are not meant to idle that low long term the short term nature of this set will not harm it.

Yes this sounds exactly like what happened to mine that day. I bought my bike used so I don't know for sure if the parade mode was enabled, but when you say the idle dropped down and the engine ran less rpm and rough, this is exactly what mine sounded like. I rarely rev the throttle at a stop since I figure it's only heating up the heads more.

If I understand this correctly, reving the throttle at a stop will reset the timer thereby not allowing the -almost never mentioned heat management - to take effect?
So if I leave the throttle along this will kick in after a set time and detection of high heat will then lower the rpm (I assume thru the IAC) and keep the mix richer (cooler) during this time?

This a good thing. It would seem the manual would state NOT to rev throttle at a stop. But I guess that is a bad sale statement.

Anyhow I am also curious as to what you meant when you said,
-"they all do it" Cheap shot I had to say it but the newer bikes do.-
? please clarify this statement I don't quite get what you are saying ?

And thanks for this very informative reply.

Anyhow I am also curious as to what you meant when you said,
-"they all do it" Cheap shot I had to say it but the newer bikes do.-
? please clarify this statement I don't quite get what you are saying ?
And thanks for this very informative reply.

I'm pretty sure Smitty's reference "they all do it" was the common dealer reply when they don't know the answer, or don't want to explain something to a customer. VERY irritating.

First ride on my 08' FLSTC I was hearing and feeling a clunk when I rolled over cracks in the road, or small potholes, railroad grades etc... (No not four-byin on it just normal roadway stuff) Told the dealer and they said.... "They all do it." This was at a full service... I serviced it myself the next time and the fall-away was WAY too lose. Could feel about 1/16-1/8" of free play in the tripple tree by lifting up on the front wheel. So, they were correct! ALL HDs that are out of adjustment go CLUNK.

By the way I adjusted it by the book, and now they don't ALL DO IT! Not dealer-bashing here, just saying that a little education goes a long way

First ride on my 08' FLSTC I was hearing and feeling a clunk when I rolled over cracks in the road ... .... ... Told the dealer and they said.... "They all do it." This was at a full service... I serviced it myself the next time and the fall-away was WAY too lose. ... ... ... By the way I adjusted it by the book, and now they don't ALL DO IT! Not dealer-bashing here, just saying that a little education goes a long way

Yep there is the flip side, and a good point. I guess dealers are like any other kind of entity, there are good ones and bad ones.

But on a slightly different direction, I have often wondered how the extended warranty progam plays into this pattern. I.E. they are a money maker for both the Dealer (and H.D. I presume) but if you get someone that brings in the bike often and complains often it would start to create some resistance on the dealer end I would think.

I always kinda felt like I would get better service if I just paid outright for it. I've always been a little apprehensive of buying an extended warranty. (unless it was for parts only like when I buy an item at Harbor Freight, and even then I compare the price of the warranty to variables)
In other words I wonder how much of the extended warranty profits are kept by the Dealer and how much by H.D. It would seem that H.D. would have to have some sort of balance of gravity there or the Dealer could execute fraudulant warranty requests from bike owners in criminal partnership.

Just my wondering when I have too much spare time on my hands. Maybe I just need to go riding.:newsmile091:

I think of it this way: They are not forced to provide an ext warranty... but they sure try to get you to buy it.

If I lived where there were plenty of HD options I would be all about the warranty. But what if the best mechanic is working for an Independant?

Just curious, were did Smitty901 read about the heat management system.
I would like to read more on this.

Just curious, were did Smitty901 read about the heat management system.
I would like to read more on this.

Yes that would be interesting, course it may be an undocumented facet that Smitty heard through a dealer friend. Microsoft has loads of those undocumented items.

I would like to ask this 2nd question. The guy that used to own my bike, I have communicated with a few times. He works out of town and it takes awhile sometimes to get him. He traded mine in on a RK.
Anyhow...he told me once when he had my bike, it overheated with him in a parade and it quit on it. He had to haul it in to the nearest dealer to get it running again. He said it was the CrankPostionSensor that failed.
My question is (other than maybe being a loaded question) why would this fail due to overheating ?

Oh and my bike still runs good, has just over 15,000 miles and holds steady oil pressure of 40 plus. The previous owner only rode it on weekends. Usually if the Heads don't warp, overheating gets the head gaskets first. Did in one of my older trucks. Had water in the oil afterwards till I fixed it.

Back