free website stats program what year bike shakes? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

what year bike shakes?

Never rode one that didnt shake a bit, Milwaukee Vibrator :D

What is this shaking everyone speaks of? :p

What is this smoothness others speaks of? I guess I best try one of those rubber mounted touring models......hehehe.....

What is this shaking everyone speaks of? :p

What is this smoothness others speaks of? I guess I best try one of those rubber mounted touring models......hehehe.....

If they didnt shake a bit they would not be a HD:D

harley doesn't normally show hp, but the '10 models both a and b engines are quoted at about 92lb torque. i had a heritage, 05. it was rock solid at idle, but vibrated at hiway speeds. my rg-08 shakes as normal at idle, but super smooth at speed. nature of the beasts. was told moco built some vibs into the softail line at speed to give the feel of an old school harley. at least that was what i was told. tom p

yes the Softails have less Hp because of parasitic drag of balancers i read somewhere b4 the guess was 3% loss of power

Real motorcycles shake...:s Touring bikes have the A motor, Softails have the B motor. Softails buzz at 70 mph and higher, Touring bikes are smooth as glass at 70 mph and higher. YMMV.

Thorns

Someone mentioned the fact that Harley does not advertise horsepower, only torque.
Athough the MOCO does not advertise horsepower in any of its advertising you can still see what they "believe" the engines put out by studying the graph they print in the yearly parts catalogue. There are a couple of pages that show the difference between the stock 96 twin cam engine and the 110" engine. The graph shows horsepower and torque differences between the two engines. This is kind of a back door approach to figuring out what the Harley claimed horsepower is but...it is what it is. Most people are absolutely shocked that their new Harley only puts out about 65 horsepower! Harley never does say whether this is at the crank or at the rear wheel. Since the charts were the result of a dyno run, one can assume they are measured at the rear wheel. In order to wake one of these detuned engines up we have to go outside of the law and defy the EPA by adding less restrictive slip on mufflers, increasing the air flow at the air cleaner and adding a fuel management device of some sort. By doing all three you can pick up maybe 10-12 horsepower at full throttle. One thing is for certain, horsepower is not cheap. One hundred dollars per horse is a pretty good estimate for a full Stage 1 upgrade like described above. Yikes! Some of us can only hope that within a year or two the MOCO will be putting a retuned version of their water jacketed engine into touring bikes. Even with less displacement that engine cranks out nearly twice the horsepower that the current 96" air cooled engine develops. I think the V-Rod engine would have to be retuned quite a bit because it doesn't start to come alive until about 4-5000 rpms, much too high for a touring machine. Then there is that thing with the 60 degree crank. Old timers have been fighting for that 45 degree crank (potato-potato) sound for decades.

Back