what year bike shakes?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by rockinreel, May 17, 2010.

1. rockinreel

rockinreel Member

My friend says he has a 2002 Road King. It shakes a lot at idle. I see his hands shaking on the handle bars and his water bottle looks like it's about to boil over. I said his bike must be a 1999 or older, before the counter balancers. I said mine's a 2000 (softail HC) and it doesn't shake at all. He said it didn't shake that much... lol! Yeah, okay, whatever!

His engine shakes a heck of a lot, and mine doesn't shake at all. So, what's the deal here? Does a 2002 Road King shake that much? Did HD not put balancers on Road King engines in 2002? Or is my friends bike older than he thinks it is?

2. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

no balancers in rubber mounted R?K. only solid mounted softails..i think after 1999..

3. glide01

glide01 Member

I believe that softtails have the TC-B (balanced)motors.While RK,RG,SG have TC-A motors

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

All Harleys have the month and year of manufacture on a tag on the frame. Touring models are on the left of the neck. Other models may be in other places.

5. mhayes1209

mhayes1209 New Member

I have a new 2010 RK, it shakes at idle, Isn't this normal?

6. ultrat

yes it is..smooths out as rpms increases & welcome..

7. Barndog

Barndog Member

04 RK here. looks and feels like a paint shaker at Idle. Smooth as butter at speed though

8. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

"Its a HD ,they all do that!" :D AAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

9. rockinreel

rockinreel Member

That's why I love this site. Didn't know everyone has the shakes at idle but softails. Do softails have less hp because of the balancers?

10. ultrat

I dont think so....same hp ...