free website stats program What wrong with SYN3 in all 3 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What wrong with SYN3 in all 3

years back the legale question came up what is a sny oil so they all sat down and agreed that if you messed with a dino oil enough, crack it all kinds of fancy terms you could call it a sny oil. So leagly it is.
Real world it is not it may be a good oil it might even be a fine oil but it is not the same as m1 vtwin or any of the other true sny oils.

And it is made by hugo

Yes, I understand that cracked dino can be synthetic but cracked dino is Group II and Group III. Syn3 is Group IV which is not cracked dino. Group IV are "true" syns. So how can you say Syn3 is not a true syn?

"Group IV is PAO, which most consider along with group V to be a "true" synthetic. It is made up of base oils made from other hydrocarbons (often derived from natural gas) and is made specifically to be a lubricant, and does not have origin as crude oil. Mobil 1 and Amsoil are the best examples of these type of oils. They offer performance throughout extremes, resist oxidation, all kinds of fun stuff."

I stated some information that is different from what others have been saying in this forum. I'm looking for the truth. I want to make my decisions based on real information and not based on things passed down from where ever. So can anyone link facts that are different from what I've stated. Where does it say that Syn3 is not a true synthetic?

I read this today and I decided that Amsoil 20w-50 MCV would be best for all three holes. I know most of you think gear lube is better for the newer Harley transmissions but I can't help but think that most people are just following the leader when it comes to using gear oil for these transmissions.

"With AMSOIL MCV, there is no need for separate transmission or primary chaincase lubricants. It is absolutely shear stable and will not thin out from mechanical activity. AMSOIL MCV performs like a gear lube without the negative effects of extreme pressure additives. In the FZG gear test, AMSOIL MCV achieved a perfect score with a “zero” wear rating." Key words here are "without the negative effects of extreme pressure additives" and "AMSOIL MCV achieved a perfect score with a “zero” wear rating.".

Amsoil also recommends their 20W-50 over their Severe Gear for the transmission for the twin cam. See link below. The "Best" choice for transmission is MCV (20w-50) and the second choice is SVT (Severe Gear 75W-110). I find this very interesting since MCV is $9.75 a quart and SVT is $13.15 a quart. Amsoil is recommending their less expensive oil over their more expensive gear oil.
AMSOIL - Harley-Davidson/AMSOIL Oil Chart

Okay I started this thread and earlier the HD dealer where I bought My Heritage suggested syn 3 in all three at the 1k and 5k service.
Now spriing 08 when I take my bike in to a closer HD dealer and have the 10k service done for my 07 96b engine and I was informed that their dealership is now reccomending to stay with syn3in engine but now I need to put formula+ in the primary and transmission to meet HD service requirments...
I am happy with formual+l in transmission because I can tell a difference in shifting (smoother) and finding neutral easier. I cant tell any diff in the primary maybe because I ride easy and slow.. but I will stay with the same oils at the 15k service..

Thanks for all who replied and helped on this subject..

Last edited:
Back