free website stats program what would it be worth | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

what would it be worth

With that trailer hitch on the back I wouldn't buy it unless the maintenance records were up to date and available for me to look at. JMO

Flhs Elctra glide Sport Flht Electra Glide Standard

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was difference, but to I'm old to remmber.

This is an EVO motor, cam is gear driven. You did not say how many miles on the bike. The trailer ball means it probably has pulled something. Find out if it has had engine or clutch work done. Take a ride and see how the trans shifts.

This is an EVO motor, cam is gear driven. You did not say how many miles on the bike. The trailer ball means it probably has pulled something. Find out if it has had engine or clutch work done. Take a ride and see how the trans shifts.

Thanks Don, that sounds like real good advice. Take it for a test drive and talk to the owner and ask lots of questions. One of my main concerns would be -- I would not be comfortable taking a 20 year old bike across country for lets say a 2K mile ride. Maybe not even a 1K mile ride -- would you???

Does anyone here ride a 20yo bike on long trips?

Bill

I have a 92 softail custom and wife rides a 94 dyna wide glide i have no worries with taking the 2 bikes on a 2k trip and we have done on these 2 bikes for the last 3 years
if you decide to buy the bike take it easy with it for a wee while and get to know the bike
the evo engined bikes are fairly robust and reliable and the latest parts for them are well refined

Brian

If you have just made up your mind that you want this bike i would take for a ride. During your ride i would go to the harley dealer and see if they would be willing to do an extensive inspection. Im by no means trying to rain on your parade but "time"take its toll on all things and nothing would be worse than buying this bike and finding out the hard way that it needs an overhaul or something else that will have you at 11-12 thousand dollars in a twenty year old. At that point youll be wondering how much nicer of a bike you could have had by buying a little newer bike. I recommend paying the 85.00 inspection fee. You will either spend the 85 and save thousands or you will spend it and get peace of mind that you have made a good sound investment.

Just my two cents, i tend to aire on the side of caution

well, I can end this here. The bike had 69K miles - no inspection records - no maintenance records - guy only had it for a couple years and now is selling it. Not a bike I want to sink money into at this time. But it did look good on the outside. Im moving on.

Thanks to all replys.
Bill

Thanks Don, that sounds like real good advice. Take it for a test drive and talk to the owner and ask lots of questions. One of my main concerns would be -- I would not be comfortable taking a 20 year old bike across country for lets say a 2K mile ride. Maybe not even a 1K mile ride -- would you???

Does anyone here ride a 20yo bike on long trips?

Bill

Bill, on my trip to Sturgis I rode a 1995 Ultra with 76,000 on the clock. I put 2100 miles on that bike using 1 quart of oil and replacing a battery cable, it can be done if you know the bike and the history JMO Tho I would question the hitch

Back