free website stats program What was your first bike? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

What was your first bike?

69 or 70 Honda 125. The street version. I had a red one and my buddy had a blue one. We used to race all over town. It was a gas. Didn't work too well off road but that didn't stop us. Buried the darned thing up to the muffler on many occasions. It was light enough to lift out of the rut and off we'd go. Man, I miss that thing. Saw a lot of back country roads. even rode it from Chicago to Wisconsin a few times. Had a sturdy butt in those days. No helmet. T shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. No goggles either. Got a June bug in the eye one evening going about 50. Darned near knocked me off the bike. Let my girlfriend ride it and she wheelied me right off the back seat That was it for her. She walked all the way home.

I had the red 1968 scrambler. Lots of fun for a 14 year old back in the day. Cut the muffler off and ran straight pipes. Loud and proud:D

Mine was a cz 125 only lasted a couple of months before i smashed it
took 6 months to get back to walking again was pronunced fit for duty after 10 months got a honda cb250 g5 which i later passed my test on

Brian

In 1966 I saved up my grass cutting/car washing money, and my Uncle (against my father's wishes) helped me buy a Honda CB160 Dream. After a couple of months it looked like a dented bobber, but because I had learned to ride "wheelie's" up and down the street.

Depending on his size, I'd help him get a low maintennance fairly simple bike that he could ride with you, as long as you remember to ride with him. Let him get to know the bike, and it's characteristics, so he can enjoy the ride more safetly. Once he conquers it then he can move on to something that would challenge him. Help him learn the good things about riding, not the pain of healing from stupid mistakes! K:bigsmiley24:eep riding!

Honda 125, I loved that bike. It was black and my nice full size speckled green Bell helmet probably weighed more than the bike.

Kawasaki KZ550, after that kawasaki 1000LTD, after that a soon to be HD ultra classic, I can hardly wait.

First bike was a 2000 sportster 1200 I bough brand new. In 2001 I put cams pistons and heads in, to up the power just a little. In 2009 I boought a brand new Dyna Low Rider and sold my sportster. Who has motor mod ideas?

1st bike, goes too far back rode so many modified bicycles with lawn mower engines, mini bikes, tote goat rebuilt in friends garage (caught the sponge pad seat on fire from backfiring exhaust), trail bikes, garage sale fixer uppers, and even modified steam powered ones. All my friends had 50's, 125's and eventually dirt bikes and scrambler that would let me ride them after we worked on them into some sort of running order.

But the 1st real street motocycle I slammed my money down was the 1981 Yamaha 550 Maxim...in 1980, because it was low to the ground, UJM (Universal Japanese Machine) air cooled Inline 4 Cylinder street bikes/cruiser all the rage back then. It was good size and I rode it up until the 90's, which now saw it converted into a sport touring rig with QuickSilver fairing, hard touring bags. Small bikes can be made to grow with you...

Last edited:
When I was in college I bought myself a '72 Kawasaki KZ400. This was a good bike to learn on. Not too heavy but still had some pick-up. It was also real cheap, so the fact that I dropped it the FIRST time I rode it was not as traumatic as it could have been with a different selection.

TQ

Back