What type of oil should I use?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Jaemeriiaa, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jaemeriiaa

Jaemeriiaa Member

I've been searching around and I just cant find the answer. I ride a 96 hd sportster 1200 and I need an oil change soon. What type of oil is best to use? she has a little over 15k miles.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum Engine Oil Poll - Harley Davidson Community start here, all good oils should be for air cooled Motor cycles first off, Synthetic being the best choice:s

3. CoreyV

CoreyV Member

Mobil 1 V-twin gets my vote.

4. Terry Jackson

Terry Jackson Member

Same here. I own both a 96 and an 02 sportster. I noticed the 96 ran better as soon as I went to Mobile ! full synthetic

5. Jaemeriiaa

Jaemeriiaa Member

So mobile 1 vtwin synthetic. What about the specifics? Like how cars have a numerical value on the oil ie 10w 30 etc. sorry for all the noob questions, had the local hd shop do the oil change when I bought it less than a year ago and it's my first bike.

6. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Mobile 1 20w-50 Vtwin

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

DON't forget that the Primary and Transmission SHARE the same oil...

Harleys Formula + is one of the best here. Others out there but this one works great and MANy who use a synthetic STILL go with the HD Formula + in the sporty.

I have used many different lubes in my sportsters over the years But always seem to come full circle to using Formula+.

NOW if you were talk'in Big Twins,,,, I go Redline Heavy Shockproof "Gear Oil" for the tranny.

I also use and recommend Redline 20/50 in all the HD engines.

signed....BUBBIE

8. Jaemeriiaa

Jaemeriiaa Member

Thanks a bunch everyone! I appreciate the help. Time to figure out how to change the oil on my next off day. Wish me much

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

If you don't already own a manual it will be one of the best things you can buy for your bike.

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Good advice from Don Here, You can watch an oil change video on you tube:s