free website stats program What type of oil should I use? | Harley Davidson Forums

What type of oil should I use?

I've been searching around and I just cant find the answer. I ride a 96 hd sportster 1200 and I need an oil change soon. What type of oil is best to use? she has a little over 15k miles.

So mobile 1 vtwin synthetic. What about the specifics? Like how cars have a numerical value on the oil ie 10w 30 etc. sorry for all the noob questions, had the local hd shop do the oil change when I bought it less than a year ago and it's my first bike.

DON't forget that the Primary and Transmission SHARE the same oil...

Harleys Formula + is one of the best here. Others out there but this one works great and MANy who use a synthetic STILL go with the HD Formula + in the sporty.

I have used many different lubes in my sportsters over the years But always seem to come full circle to using Formula+.

NOW if you were talk'in Big Twins,,,, I go Redline Heavy Shockproof "Gear Oil" for the tranny.

I also use and recommend Redline 20/50 in all the HD engines.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks a bunch everyone! I appreciate the help. Time to figure out how to change the oil on my next off day. Wish me much

Thanks a bunch everyone! I appreciate the help. Time to figure out how to change the oil on my next off day. Wish me much

If you don't already own a manual it will be one of the best things you can buy for your bike.

Back