free website stats program What TUNER have you used? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

What TUNER have you used?

Shortly after I bought my bike, I wanted to do something in the way of a perfomance upgrade. I wasn't interested in blowin anyone's doors off, I was just looking for a little more power, and a better sounding bike though. After a lot of Q&A, mostly on this forum, thanks so much Glider, I opted to go with a SE a/c kit, Rush slip ons with the 2" baffle and a V&H fuel pak. I could not be more pleased with the results. Can't speak to the temps as I have a no way to measure. About 4000 miles have been put on the bike since the mods and I have not had issue one with the set up. No popping, backfiring, missing, nothing. Runs flawlessly. Install and set up was a breeze and the price was right for me, right at 6 bones for the whole deal. Took a short afternoon to do the whole thing.

I have used PCIII on a couple bikes, and not more than 2 Vance & Hines, and just recently the SERT. I beleive with any of them, you should have your bike dyno tuned. Yeah its expensive but so is the motor your destroying if it isn't tuned correctly. I found that with the PCIII & FuelPak, that if your bike doesnt run well with the settings or download for your bike, your kinda just stuck. I have actually taken 2 maps on a PCIII, one that was better from idle up to around 30%, and one that was good from 30% to WOT and made my own maps. I have also got out the calculator and converted the numbers to percentages and trimmed and added fuel here and there throughout the maps. All of this time could have been better spent on a dyno. Granted I got most of them pretty close by plug readings but without a a/f probe it is kinda just guessing. I am sold on the SERT now, that I have seen how much control you have over various parameters from Knock Retard for each cylinder to Accel Enrichment & Decel Enleanment. But again dyno tuning is worth it in the end. As far as cost, I think the SERT & 3 Hours Dyno time, was around 850.00 or so. The PCIII were around 300.00 with no Dyno time, but I usually get 45.00/hr for tuning so that adds up pretty fast. The FuelPak's are around 250.00-280.00 and I have only set these up with the suggested settings from V&H. Sorry for the long post!!!:D

Glider what tuner pipe combo would you recomend, I just want a little more power and not much more noise from my stock setup

Steve, as you have probably read, I like the TFI for ease of installation and setup. They just add fuel and for these bikes on the street, that's about all you need without going for dyno tunes with SERT tuners that can run upwards of $800-$1000.

As far as pipes, there's many to choose from and what I like you may not like. It's a very subjective area. Best bet is to hit a few bike nights in your area or check out the dealers service area to listen to the different slip ons available to decide what's for you..

I figured you would say the TFI but I was hoping you knew a pipe setup that would give me better flow without a lot more noise I like to talk to my passenger without an intercom and every pipe that the dealer tries to talk me into sounds like a straight pipe. I guess I'll wait till spring and go to a couple of bike nights.

has anybody used the terminal velocity tuner ? i have read some things about it and like the fact that i don't have to do anything but plug it in and ride . it adjusts everything on it's own .

It's ok for a basically stock bike, usually the people that don't like it have had cams and/or head work. However the terminal velocity still uses the stock narrow band sensors witch isn't the best option for an auto tune system. for a little more money......probably a couple hundred more:D you can get the thundermax autotuner that uses wide band sensors and is a far superior unit....I think as long as it's not a bagger the T-max will work on '09's, and they're supposed to have them working for the baggers the first part of the new year.

I've read setup horror stories about this DTT. Google it and read the V-Twin Forum one, for example

I purchased the Thunder Max Auto Tune, priced the same bur fully automatic. No screwing around with the idle screw.

I went the route of IED and the SE Race Fueler, waste of time and money. Here is a picture of the plugs after setting up the R/F to run what I thought was very well.

I'll post a picture of the plugs when I get 150 miles on the Tmax A/T.

It is easy to install, the map for your specific set up is loaded for you.
install the unit, change the o2 sensors, load the soft ware, initialize plug the laptop in, start the engine, click auto IAC and the system sets itself.

Now ride and it auto tunes to your bike.

My bike never ran or sounded as good with or without the other gimmicks.

Al

Attachments

• SE Fueler Plugs.jpg
    SE Fueler Plugs.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 90
Back